Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
hot days

Hi I'd just like to share a wee tip on cooling down your hounds on very hot days. I give my two chicken stock ice lollies and they love them ! I always have stock as I boil up chicken for their dinners and one of the ways i use some of the excess stock is freezing it in small containers and on very hot days after their afternoon walk they lie outside on their rug under a parasol licking their lollies !! Bliss. Anyone else got any tips ?

Re: hot days

I don't have any tips but do agree with the sign, when there is a forecast for hot days we change our walking routine. We go for a long walk at 6am, then during the day just a quick pee in the garden, short walk to the school in the afternoon and then go for about an hour about 9pm, I feel that they do have enough exercise this way. It means that I have to drag them out of their beds twice a day as Floyd doesnt get up till "late" and Jess is first in bed at 8pm. Floyd would never managed a walk in the heat, he is getting a bit old and huffs and puffs in the normal weather, let alone in the heat. In the evening I usually take them past the burn so they can walk in the water for a bit as they seem to enjoy it. I tried ice lolly once but it was no success, oh well

photo burning_zps87d1f9f2.png

Re: hot days

hi monika, yes its a great idea to take them out early morning, your routine sounds just like mine as well. I take them out for an hour at 6am when its coolest. They are desperate to go out again when i get back from work about 1.30 but its only about 10 min round the field next to us and this is usually when they get their lolly! and then there not out again until about 9ish when again its a wee bit cooler, they also have their own wee spot in the garden with a big rug and a parasol where they spend most of their time snoozing...it really is a dogs life !!