Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Flies

Where I walk the dogs in the morning there are suddenly swarms of flies due to the hot weather and I've noticed that they target Jock more than the other four hounds. I'm wondering if it could be because he's black, as black absorbs more heat than other colours. Or it could be an odour thing (he's affectionately known as 'stinky' in the family - in spite of tooth brushing, ear cleaning and bathing ).
Does anyone know if black dogs are particularly attractive to flies?

Re: Flies

Don't know about the colour but you can tell the wee pet that the flies are getting on my nerves too this year so I do feel for him

For once I can't help you Marion.
There are no flies on me
Jimmy.

Hi,

I'm not sure, but wouldn't be surprised if colour has something to do with it. Kitty is black with white spots, and they certainly do seem to make a bee line (or should I say 'fly line) for her.

Best, Jo

Hi Marion. Megan is all black, and she is driven mad by the flies. She's absolutely terrified of house flies. Spends the whole day running from room to room before any of us have even seen/heard them. Hoping they don't last too long.

Thanks for the replies - Jimmy, we all know you are far too sweet-smelling to attract flies .
I gave Jock a watering-can bath with Moringa Shower Gel yesterday and he smells lovely too, but the flies still like him best, so maybe it is a colour thing.
Problem is, he likes to poo in the long grass, where they all lie in wait, then we're followed by a black cloud of the horrible things - there's nothing worse than trying to pick up poo, with leads in your other hand, and hundreds of flies buzzing round your head.
If this is global warming, I don't like it. Thank goodness for fly-free afternoon walks on the beach!

You can get fly repellant for dogs, but DON'T be tempted to use fly repellant for humans on your dog as they can contain things that are toxic to dogs.

I found quite a good article on the subject here.

Thanks Steve,
The flies are more of a nuisance than a threat, so I would no more use an insecticidal spray on the dogs than I would in the house.
Jock is like Kell in that he likes to flop down in the sea when it's hot, so I thought I'd take him swimming yesterday. He got very excited and jumped around at the edge a lot but wouldn't come in. Then he got the whiff of a dead seal - so much for the lovely Moringa Shower Gel fragrance!
I was so disappointed that he wouldn't come swimming with me. There's your next challenge, Jimmy, find me a greyhound that likes the water, and I'll find room for number 6!

Marion, the fly repellant is the same idea as fly repellant for people rather than fly killer spray. The idea is that that there's something about it that the flies don't like so they leave you alone. Well, that's the theory anyway - some are more effective than others.

Kell loves sitting down in water when it's hot but I'm not sure if he'd swim or not since I don't let him off the lead and I can't swim! I suppose I could wade in to waist height and see if he swims, but don't expect to see that happening on any of the forthcoming walks!

Thanks again Steve - I have a feeling that 'Eau de Jock' would probably overpower any repellent (especially post-seal experience!).
Re swimming, probably best not to wade in with Kell in case he likes it too much - then you'd have to do it all the time!
I've only met one greyhound so far that liked to swim, and he also carried sticks around with him, so I'm not sure about the purity of the breed line!
I should have stuck with Goldies (only Kidding C&J!).

Swimming - Goldies ????
Didn't know that you used to keep goldfish Marion.
I hope that they were in a safe enclosed pond and that you had no cats and they were never allowed off the lead
Jimmy.

Well Jimmy, I have been known to keep an occasional ex-fairground goldfish as a child but, as you know quite well, I am talking about the beautiful breed that are the ultimate gentlefolk among dogs. They are easy to train, obedient, patient, sweet-natured to man and beast alike, AND they LOVE swimming.
Compare greyhounds, who are, in general, somewhat feisty, wilful, demanding (especially of food), challenging (in most departments), AND averse to water more than about a foot deep (and then only in hot weather).
So why do I love greyhounds so much? Because of all of the above (except the water thing) and their sheer magic and a vulnerability that makes you want to wrap them up and take them home - like you do!

Totally and absolutely agreed Marion.

My daughter has always sworn by using lemon essential oil in her suntan lotion and moisturiser when abroad to repel mosquitos. When I had my horses I used lemon fly repellent gel on them and it worked. Just a thought.

Eileen

Thanks Eileen, I think it's the citronellol in citrus oils that acts as a deterrent. I have some lemon essential oil so I'll try it. Even if it doesn't help much with the flies, it has to be an improvement on his current base note!!

Hi, My 3 black hounds had a wee swarm follow them everywhere and were going crackers! Got stuff called DYNA-MITE liquid from Amazon especially for dogs and horses. We all have a spray of the stuff before the walk and glad to report we are not bothered with them anymore.