Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bruce Festival

Took Mac (McLeod) and Maisie to the Bruce Festival on Sunday. Was to be part of their ongoing training as I knew there'd be loads of dogs, squirrels,crowds etc to challenge them.
Initially we stayed on the outskirts of the activities, but something strange happened, they were not barking like maniacs. So we moved closer into the crowd. People came up to us and we told them all about GRF. Families asked for permission to hug the 'horsey'. Hmmm. If you'd told me a year ago McLeod would be at the Bruce Festival charming the crowd I would have laughed. We were even in the ice cream queue with a Jack Russell puppy, Mac looked at it and just turned back. 3 hours on his paws, yeah, haven't got the energy to care

The one downside was during the WW2 display they let off two large bangs and Maisie behaved like she'd been shot. That was a cue though for lots more attention from the crowd, which she lapped up.
Got home and the pair of them went really crazy over a football on next doors step which from a certain angle looked a little like a cat. Good behaviour over then

Re: Bruce Festival

Well done Mac and Maisie.
A credit to the greyhound breed.

What a fab story! I guess you took them out of their comfort zone and into 'mass stimulation' so they weren't quite so sure of things. I've seen this at the GRF dog show, where small non-greyhound dogs appear to attract much less attention than usual.
The same thing happens with 'safety in numbers'. My girl, Foxy, is as feisty as you like when she's got the 4 boys around, but she's actually quite timid on her own.
Then, of course, you took them back home and normality resumed - what a great learning exercise though, and well done Mac & Maisie!

Yes Marion, at the GRF dog show
they got up to their usual antics so it was a pleasant surprise to see them with their halos on.

That's interesting, Jenny - could it be because the GRF show is indoors? We can't go any more because Bryn got really stressed out and barked his head off, but he was fine once we got outside. It's weird, because my little blind lurcher Dylan, who you would expect to get stressed by all the strange noises and smells, was fine.
Not that I'm suggesting an outside venue for the show - the weather is much too unpredictable and the Colessie site is great.