Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Advice please ....

Wonder if anyone else has experienced this ...

Bootsie had colitis last week and had a course of Metranidazole, which he finished on Friday. His tummy seems better now, however, the past two nights he has been pacing and panting Last night, the pacing went on for about an hour and a half - he just went from room to room, and to the front door (Mo had him out about 5 times!).

He hates the heat, and I'm sure that's what's causing the excessive panting, however, not sure what's causing him to pace - he has never done this before. He didn't seem distressed or uncomfortable, it's just out of character.

Any advice would be gratefully received. We are going back to see Bob this evening.

Thanks,
Susan.

Re: Advice please ....

Susan, not sure this will help. But Megan has had gastro-entiritis the past week. She was exactly the same with the panting and pacing. We had orginally put it down to hot weather but when sickness/diarrohea started we went to vet. Turned out it was part of her symptoms. She has settled down but still doesn't settle as usual. Think the weather has a lot to do with it. She would want out but would then just stand outside sniffing the air and seeming to enjoy the night-time. I would see how it goes. Sorry it's not much help!

Thanks for that.

Just been to see Bob, and he has taken bloods, so fingers and paws crossed.

Hopefully, like Megan, it will just be the tail end of the colitis.

This weather is not doing any of us any good

Cheers,
Susan.

Bootsie has pancreatitis .... this is not great news.

Bob took bloods earlier, and has just 'phoned us with the results ... Mo is away to collect some medication, and a low-fat prescription diet.

Not what we wanted to hear, but we will ensure he has everything he needs.

Susan.

Sorry to hear that. At least you now know what it's been and treatment has started. All the best.

Hi Mo and Susan,
So sorry to hear that Bootsie has more complications. I was just about to post that my eldest, Kim, who also struggles in the heat, has been panting a lot in the evenings too, but it doesn't seem to affect him at night.
Did Bob say if the pancreatitis is linked to the colitis, or something new?
Poor Bootsie, and poor you - it's time you had a break from illness.
I have to confess that I love the heat, but I have the perfect house for it - cool indoors and a sun trap in the back garden. The dogs ask for their beds to be put outside as soon as the sun reaches the garden, then alternate between sunbathing and cooling off inside on the flagstones with a nice cold drink - what a life! In the meantime, I'm still slaving away in the office

Aye, it's a greyhound's life right enough

I gather it has been pancreatitis all along, the locum diagnosed colitis but he didn't take bloods - Bob took bloods yesterday, which was how the diagnosis was made. My first reaction, when Bob said pancreatitis, was "oh my God" ... my Mum has had pancreatitis, and we know it can be life threatening. However, Bob explained that Bootsie would be on tablets for two weeks, and then they will take bloods again to ensure that the reading has gone down. Unfortunately, for Bootsie, however he now has to be on a low-fat, low-protein diet for the rest of his life As long as he is happy, and pain free, that's fine by us ...

Keep enjoying that sunshine

Susan x

Thanks for the update Susan, it sounds as if Bob is fairly confident Bootsie's condition can be controlled, so that is good news - let us know when you get the results of the next blood test.
As far as the diet goes, it's going to be tough, big man - no more ice-creams and don't go catching any of those 'wabbits' you like chasing!
Best wishes from us all.

Hi Susan

Pancreatitis if caught early isn't life threatening it is if it goes on for weeks. But thankfully you have seen his symptoms and how he was so out of character and acted on it straight away. Poor boy get well soon Bootsie, you are allowed to demand extra cuddles now. I hope the tablets help. Keep an eye on his drinking and eating as if any of that changes he will very likely need to spend a day with his friend Bob getting some fluids via a drip. I'm sure you will be on top of it though. If you are after a low protein and fat diet the most reasonable one; unless you wanted to go down the sensitivity wet/dry food with the vets, is probably Chappie. I know alot of people dont like it but for that kind've thing it is good.

Hope he gets better soon and his bloods come back all clear.

Katie

xx

Hi Katie,

Thank you for your reply.

I hope we HAVE caught it in time ... Bootsie is currently on a prescription diet and medication. He is wolfing down the prescription food, and I'm even managing to get his pills down his throat without being able to disguise them in bits of chicken, etc. He is amazingly accepting and well behaved ... he really is an absolute star

It was Bob who picked up that he had been seen a few times recently, and decided to take bloods - he is a wonderful vet - he and Emma both are. We have complete faith in Vetrica, and know they'll do their very best for Bootsie, and us.

Mo & I have found it very hard not to give Bootsie treats of any kind but we know that's how it has to be, at least for the time being.

Bootsie, it has to be said, is in good form - he is alert and enjoying his walks and food. He is also drinking well, thankfully - that probably has a lot to do with the hot weather, mind you! We had a lovely walk in Pittencrieff Park yesterday - there are lots of shady bits there - his ears were up the whole time, and he spotted a squirrel

We keep hoping that he will keep eating the prescription diet until next Tuesday (5th August) when his bloods will be repeated. Please keep all fingers and paws crossed for us ....

Thanks again,
Susan xx

Hi Susan

It sounds to me like you have caught it early enough. If hes eating, drinking and not being sick or having diarrhoea then you have caught it early enough. If the bllods aren't right then from what you are saying about Ventrica I'm sure Bob and Emma will go for a different treatment, like fluids. But if he's happy in himself for now then you will hopefully find on the 5th august that he is much better.
Greyhounds are rubbish with pain as well so that will be another indicator.
With regards to treats you could try a kibble (if the vets have given you that use it as treats)
If they have given you vet food. Then you might be able to get him a small bag of chappie kibbles and treat him with that. You might see his behaviour change if he's used to getting rewards for something and you have just stopped. Thats definitely one thing you dont need.

Greys are the mostly lovely pets but they are wimps haha

Bootsie, you get better buddy we are all expecting the Rovers reporter to be back to his old self in no time. And telling us how great his best friend Bob is. Make sure your hoomans are giving you loads of cuddles and fuss.

Katie

Hi Katie,

My hoomans are giving me LOTS of attention, and cuddles Mind you, they normally do !!!!

I have been told that I am a very good boy as the only food I am allowed, just now, is the prescription diet Bob gave me ... my Mummies are giving me bits, of it, as treats and I am actually quite enjoying it - so far. Normally, at tea time, I get a ramkein to myself with a little bit of something in it, like chicken or rice ... I'm not allowed that for now, and they're putting bits of my prescription food in my ramekin - they think I don't notice, but I do I know they must be doing it for my own good, so am willing to accept it.

I did have diarrohea to begin with - that's when the vet first thought I had colitis. When I still wasn't right last Wednesday, they took me back to see Bob which is when he took blood from my paw ~ I was very brave

Anyway, will keep you posted as to how I'm doing ...

Thank you, and all my other friends, for your kind wishes

Bootsie xxx

Hi Bootsie

Good to here from the very man himself that he is feeling better, getting spoiled rotten and enjoying the new food.

Oh ouch bet the blood be taken was the least fun bit. Well done for being brave my two arent as brave as you are.

You are not easily fooled by anything are you Bootsie. The new food will make you feel heaps better.

You can go back and see uncle Bob next week and be brave while the take a little bit more blood and then fingers and paws crossed you will get the all clear.

Best of luck Bootsie

Katie xx