Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
NINA.

Hi Guys.
This is a plea from the heart.
Little NINA in the kennels has been with us now for well over two years. In fact, sixteen years in human terms. That is far, far too long for a lovely little girl.
People have occasionally come to see her but invariably she has blotted her jotters by being aggressive to a passing dog. With training this could be changed, but she'd need a loving home. With people she is a perfect loving little girl.
Knowing her problem, is there anyone out there who would rehome our little girl?
As you all know, we'd keep her in the kennels until the day she died, but the wee soul deserves a much better life than that.
Please can anyone help ?

Celia and Jimmy.

Re: NINA.

I have often felt sad for Nina ... as you say, she has been with you for a very long time

One thing you could perhaps clarify for potential owners, however ... the bit under her photo says that she 'lives happily with her boyfriend' - people may, perhaps, think that they would have to re-home two hounds - is this, in fact, the case?

Hope Nina finds her, well deserved, forever home very soon.

Susan x

I was thinking about it too, if she lives happily with her boyfriend she would get used to other dogs or does she have to be an only dog? What do you mean "quite powerful" if she walks ok on the lead?

Monika

I think in general Greyhounds are quite easy to walk on the lead when compared with other breeds of dog. They can pull a bit but the only one I found very strong was Squeek. However I walked him a few weeks ago and he seemed to be walking quite nicely and relaxed. He is a big dog but he seems to have been trained out of pulling. I think he is much more relaxed comparing to the Squeek I knew when he had just come to the kennels. Obviously older people can find it a problem when dogs pull. For a healthy young, middle-aged person Greyhounds should not pose an issue.

Hi Susan. A fair point. The description was inserted two years ago and she's had several boyfriends. She hates any other girl dogs near her.
Hi Monika she is quite strong on a lead. Very strong if she is near a cat/small dog, female greyhound, etc.

Are there greyhounds out there (excluding geriatric and blind ones) who AREN'T 'very strong on the lead when they see a cat!? Where have you been hiding them? Even worse when you have 2 or 3 greyhounds on a lead and they all spot it at once - and then it bolts!
Mine are used to seeing rabbits now, so a bit de-sensitised about them, but we don't come across many cats and they cause great excitement. 'Poor, wee, self-contained' Jock is like an ox in the pulling department when he's a man on a mission.
My beautiful long-haired lurcher of years ago was called Nina - it's a lovely name for a lovely dog.

We have the same. Megan is brilliant on the lead but if a cat is seen she becomes a prima ballerina! All the twirling and pirouetting has to be seen to be believed

Bootsie is the same .... and biting of his lead !!!!!

Susan.

Marion
Are there greyhounds out there (excluding geriatric and blind ones) who AREN'T 'very strong on the lead when they see a cat!? Where have you been hiding them? Even worse when you have 2 or 3 greyhounds on a lead and they all spot it at once - and then it bolts!
Mine are used to seeing rabbits now, so a bit de-sensitised about them, but we don't come across many cats and they cause great excitement. 'Poor, wee, self-contained' Jock is like an ox in the pulling department when he's a man on a mission.
My beautiful long-haired lurcher of years ago was called Nina - it's a lovely name for a lovely dog.

Exactly Marion, Maisie and Mac (McLeod) are very strong too and motivated to chase cats/hedgehogs. The gentle leader halter can be worn with a muzzle and cuts pulling right down.

Well, well... When I was living in York I could see a few times a man walking 6 greyhounds at a time... They seemed to be trotting next to him

I think it depends, I can "talk out" my dogs from chasing a cat (during a walk on the lead,what I mean when I see it I start talking to them (like "the cat is on a walk too and it is going home now" just as you do ,bet anybody following me must think there is something wrong with me) and Floyd just kind of whinge and cries a bit but lets me to take him and cross the road without pulling. However saying that it also happened to me that I was not paying attention and was chatting to someone and there was a cat running across the road and I, lets say did not look very gracious in the process of falling down , so my dogs let to their devices would definitely chase, there is no a question about it but there are kind of dogs who want to please you, I find it great help to talk to them and get a treat for doing well, it did work for us with all sorts of things (like passing big lorries, stopping at the road, not to bark on passing dogs), I think with every dog you have to find what works best for him/her and sometimes it takes a long time and some of them may not learn it, maybe the chase instinct is too strong and they cannot help it but that shouldn't let people stop, when I took Floyd home I didn't know what he was going to be like but it did not mattered to me, I knew that me and him will manage, we liked each other, he choose me and I couldn't be more grateful. When I took Jess I knew we managed with one dog so two of them wont be much different (meaning walks, feeding). I wasn't expecting her to be like Floyd, they have got their little personalities just like people do.
I am sure Nina will be a terrific pet when she picks the right person. It does take them a bit of time to get used to be a pet instead of working dog (some things took Floyd months and months to do, just like simple things ,he used to be quite reserved dog, he wouldn't sit on the sofa with anyone, if you sat down he would get off, it was almost like he was being watchful all the time and didn't do relaxing, now he sits with me at the TV, I do the scratching and he will do the sleeping, sometimes I do put subtitles on as I cant hear the TV cause of his snoring), she just needs somebody with patience and give her time and take the time to teach her all about retirement. Hope it will be soon, I did post it on my fb and will again.

I used to walk dogs for the RSPCA in York. What can I say... I walked many different breeds and Greyhounds were among those that were pulling least. Obviously small dogs are not as strong as Greyhounds due to their size. Any dog after spotting a running small furry will "take off". Even if it is a cat friendly one... Some will want to play, others will want to chase... I remember walking a Yorkshire Terrier... It was pulling like crazy. I thought it would strangle itself... Obviously due to its size I did not have any issues that he would wrench the lead out of my hand... It is easier to keep one dog under control than a few at a time. If Nina gets rehomed she should not be a problem to her new owner even if she were aggressive towards other female dogs... If you know about the aggression you can be prepared and cope with such situations. Just hold the lead short when walking not to give them the chance to gain power and speed when "taking off"

Hi Folks.
NINA WAS REHOMED TODAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
She has gone to live with Jasper, Jackie, Blanche, Dan and Sue Honeyman and their marvellous Daddy and Mummy.
Thank you so very, very much for taking the little girl into your home to live with her five new brothers and sisters. You have hearts of gold.
A great, great day.
Celia and Jimmy.

Fantastic news - I am so please Nina has got a home

Who is next on the list then lol

Regards
Kaz

Fabulous news! I spotted her on the 'lucky ones' page but even better that she will have lots of siblings to show her the ropes. I'm so impressed - they must have a BIG car to get six in. I reckon I've reached my limit at five.
Be a good girl NINA. We wish you a long and happy life with your new family.

That is REALLY wonderful news She is a lovely little girl, and SO deserves her forever home

6 greyhounds .... wow! Her new Mummy & Daddy must be truly special people - have a long & happy life Nina.

Susan, Mo & Bootsie xxx

Be a good girl Nina! Wow six greyhounds. I'm in awe. Congrats to all

Jenny

Yes folks.
Neil and Evelyn really are wonderful people.
Celia and Jimmy.

That is fantastic news, bet she all cuddled up now bless ...... now lets get squeek his forever home , he been there far to long as well xxx

So pleased to see Ninas been adopted- yay

Delighted to hear the news!

Hi All
Just thought would let u know Nina has settled in very nicely in her new home with her sisters and brothers. She is adorable.
Thank you Jimmy and Celia for allowing us to have all these wonderful greyhounds......as you know if we had more room we would have a lot lot more
They bring so much joy into our lives
U do a fantastic job (not that it feels like work) Neil and I are ready to take over anytime lol

Evelyn Honeyman and the ever expanding family xx

All the best in your new home little Nina.
It sounds wonderful
x

Hi, Just wanted to say how pleased I am to hear that Nina has now found a home. I visited GRF in March 2013, intending to rehome her, but when I heard she was not too good with other dogs, this put me off. I rehomed a very timid little girl, Sadie, now called Millie. Millie was hard work for a couple of months, but is now like any "normal Greyhound" whatever that is. I have always felt a little guilty for not giving Nina a chance, so much so, that I have never once looked at the Please Choose Me page, since rehoming Millie. When I saw today on the forum that Nina has a home, I felt so happy for her, and as I write this, I have a lump in my throat, I am just so pleased for her. Looks like she's landed lucky in her new home, I'm sure she'll do great with people who are obviously very experienced. Well done.