Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Boating holiday

Hi Everyone

I'm looking for a little advice here.

Me and my parents are possibly thinking on hiring a boat on the Norfolk Broads next april/may time. My dads only reserve about it is we would be taking our two greys with us and he is unsure if they would enjoy it as well.
Has anyone had any experiences with their greys being on a boat?? Do they enjoy it?? Would you do it again?? Do yu have any tips on boating with greys??

Thanks in advance

Katie

Re: Boating holiday

Hi Katie,
We took our dog Stacey on a narrow boat holiday in North Wales, she did not enjoy it at all. We had to tether her in case she jumped off, she did get off on one occasion and legged it up the towpath, luckily we were in the middle of nowhere and we managed to catch her. She did not settle at all, I think it was the the constant motion and noise from the engine.
This may have been our wimp of a nervous dog. We did see other greys on our trip and they appeared to be OK. We did have a lurcher on one boat holiday and she loved it, she would lie on the deck or poke her head over the bow to watch the wildlife.

Unfortunately the only way to see if they like it is to give it a go, it is a great holiday at a leisurely pace.

Hi Katie,

We took our grey Fergus on a boat on the broads and he loved it. It took him a day or so to get used to clambering on and off the boat with those long legs but he soon got used to it. We did keep him tethered with a long lead when the boat roof was open just in case he saw a rabbit but he really loved the fresh air, sights and smells.

The other good thing about the broads is that many of the restaurants are dog friendly and some even let you bring your dog inside while you eat which was great.

I guess it does depend on your dog but I wouldn't hesitate to go back with our hound.

Pamela x

Thanks you very much for your advice. Our two di take a few days to get used to changes. We did do the broads on a boat we hired years ago and it was really good fun I loved it and want to do it again. But now we have the dogs we gotta put them a the forefront of everything we do. So that information has definitely given me some food for thought. Thank you
Katie

Something I would think about is a life jacket each. If they're going to be safely tethered on board (? use a harness on them as opposed to being attached via the collar) might not be necessary.
Happy holiday,
Michele

Hi Michelle
I can promise you all on that. Our two wont go near any boat without life jackets. They are to precious and important to our family for us to allow anything to happen to them. Mind yu by then we might have a swimmer. My boy, Joey is getting hydrotherapy for his arthritis. Even still he will have a life jacket and yea might look into the harness idea might be good for them instead of being attached my the necks all the time. Definitely something to discuss with my parents.

On that note anyone know of any good places to get life jackets, harnesses and longer leads from??

Thanks
Katie

Try http://www.k9active.co.uk/ K9 Active are in Fife and are supporters of GRF so please let them know thats how you heard about them.

Should you have no luck with them and are shopping online are you registered for Easyfundraising? Any online purchases from participating retailers will generate a donation for GRF. :-)

Michele