Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Shocking news about Tassie

Hello everyone, I Don't normally post on the forum but requires urgent attention. I would appreciate those of you who have facebook, twitter, or any way to spread this news to do so as this dog is in danger and action needs to be taken. The link is at the bottom of this post.

Those of you who were in the kennel in the early part of this year will remember a dog called Tassie; a beautiful black and white boy.

He was Re-homed in to Dollar and all seemed well until 10 minutes ago. Celia asked me to have a read of an innocent looking blog. The blog is written from Tassie's point of view (To avoid any confusion). Here are some snippets:

"This very afternoon I ran off yet again and got so lost that I hadn’t a snowball’s chance of getting back"

"My mum is on her last warning for letting me off the lead again. In her defence, she thought it was a safe place! She is going to keep me on the lead from now on, at least for a while."

"On Friday night I ran off and got separated from my mum and family for the longest time."

Greyhounds SHOULD NOT BE OFF LEAD AT ALL. They are sighthounds for heavens sake!

The whole blog goes into information about how Tassie is running up and down roads, chasing pheasants, cats, squirrels, rabbits; for a greyhound lover like myself this blog was gut wrenching to read and I admit I couldn't read all of it. To me its a miracle that this dog has not yet been killed.

If either on of my two Greyhounds escaped I would scour the earth if I had to to make sure they were OK, and I would take every precaution to MAKE EXTRA SURE that it would never, ever happen again.

Despite the innocent looking blog these people obviously do not care about Tassie. Their blasé attitude really infuriates me. I can't put everything into this post so I ask that you read it for yourself. I have taken a copy of the page in case it is removed by the owner. Here is the link:

http://dugmctassie.wordpress.com

Please share this as much as you can.

Re: Shocking news about Tassie

Have Celia or Jimmy managed to speak to the owners?

Susan.

This is horrendous. This wee soul is not going to survive if he keeps being let off to chase.

Why oh why do people not listen to advice - thinking they know better.

I just hope someone finds him

Kaz

hi folks,

To avoid confusion tassie is not lost at this present moment, but he has escaped four times previous!

Not only that, but then plastering it publicly on the Internet for all to see. What kind of a light does that shine on Greyhounds?

As I write this Jimmy and celia are asking politely for the dog to be returned to the kennel, where he will be safe.

I have been badly mistaken, first in letting my greyhound Tassie off the lead and putting his life at risk. Not only that I blogged about it as if it was a joke.
I am sincerely sorry for creating the impression that letting a greyhound off the lead is acceptable and for any damage I may have caused to the reputation of Greyhound Rescue Fife.
The blog is now closed down.
I promise faithfully to never let him off the lead again.
Celia and Jimmy are watching me carefully now and not without reason.

Tassie:

In your defence Fiona ...

I have to say that when I read this blog, Tassie didn't appear to me to be a dog who was unloved or uncared for.

The blog was 'written by Tassie', and the comments were therefore 'from his perspective' - I am sure that you were extremely worried when he went missing.

I think it is important to remember that these dogs have been trained to chase and, if allowed off the lead, that is exactly what they will do.

Celia & Jimmy know this breed like the back of their hands, and it is for that reason that we are all asked to sign their guidelines prior to adoption. It is testament to them that they want to protect the greyhounds - both those who have been adopted, and those currently in their care.

Greyhounds are SO fast, that it is impossible to catch them once they escape, and it really is just not worth the risk.

There is a very good piece called 'Trust' on the website - have a read of that, and you'll never let Tassie off his lead again!

We have had Bootsie for 2 and a half years, and the only place he is allowed off his lead is in my parents' garden, which is fully enclosed by 6 foot fences! When you see them run free, it is tempting to let them run, because they obviously love it ... if you feel the need to let Tassie have a run Jimmy & Celia would, I am sure, be happy for you to take him to Baltree where they have runs for the dogs. The first time I saw Bootsie run 'at full pelt', I cried

You have, I am sure, learned your lesson from this.

Susan.

Re: Tassie:

Hi,

I don't know you or your dog. I don't know if you take him out in the car but there are parks which are fenced just maybe have to drive about a bit but funnily enough I was driving past Coalsnaughton park yesterday and thinking we may could go to have a look up there, it looks all fenced and the kids play park is fenced of too so if you go some quiet time you could maybe try that. You have to go and investigate. I presume you live around Hillfoots area. I personally think you and your dog were not long enough together yet so maybe you should wait a bit longer before you start asking something back from him (like some commands), and as Susan said just go back to the kennels for a wee run for now.

Monika

Re: Tassie

Fiona, It was very brave of you to post a formal apology on the forum. I'm sure that Celia has spelt out again the GRF terms and conditions of rehoming one of their greyhounds. You are not the first to be tempted to let your greyhound run free and you will not be the last. Many of us have learned the hard way, either by damage to our beloved hounds or damage caused by them.
Tassie is well and safe, which is the main thing, and long may he be so. We all make mistakes.

Hi Susan,

I'm glad to see that you are taking the necessary steps to ensure Tassie stays safe.

I'm sorry if I seemed overbearing in my comments, in the two years I have been working for the rescue we have grown to love each and every dog that comes in and goes out as if they were our own. Of course it's great when the dogs get rehomed and leave the kennel, but it's all ways sad to see them go. It hits pretty hard when we hear about the dog being put into dangerous situations.

The rehoming conditions are there for a reason, to keep you and the dog as safe and as happy as possible. I have heard some pretty horrible stories involving greyhounds that always start with the dog being off lead.

Being an IT man, I could see that the blog was nicely presented and it was a clever idea, I could see you do obviously care about the big lad!

But please do the right thing by Tassie and keep him safe! We would all be devastated it we heard something had happened to him.

Hi Sean,

Think this was meant for Fiona, but quite agree !!!

Susan, Mo & Bootsie x

The blog has not been closed - I just looked at it

Kaz

Yep thanks Susan that was for Fiona!
Getting near my bedtime i think...

It is quite sad that people choose to ignore the advice of those more experienced than themselves, and in doing so put their dogs at unnecessary risk. And just to be clear on this, not only do you risk your own dogs safety but you also potentially risk the safety of other animals and the reputation of greyhounds as a breed.

Put simply if your dog is on the lead you are in control. If your dog is not on the lead you are NOT in control. It's not rocket science is it?

Anyone who still thinks it's a good idea to let their grey off the lead in public would do well to read this - http://www.greyhoundrescuefife.com/trust.htm