Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Nipping

Please could I ask for some advice. Kitty is a lovely friendly dog, and loves to meet new people, both in the home and outdoors. She is quite shy with strangers, and will pull back rather than show any aggression if she is unsure, but once she gets to know them she loves to see them. However, just recently she has started what looks like play nipping when the postie or a delivery person comes to the door. She has so far not made any contact with the skin, but will grab a sleeve or a trouser leg. I am very worried that this might get out of hand. I would really welcome any suggestions on how to stop her doing this.

When I go to answer the door I always hold her collar before I open it, and in the past this has been enough to prevent her from nipping. However, today she pulled back out of her collar and grabbed a delivery driver by his trousers. He's a regular caller, and Kitty knows him well now. He is always gentle with her, and until recently she would just lick his hand. Fortunately he is a dog person, and just thinks it's funny, but I am afraid that not everyone would see it that way.

What can I do to stop her?

Best, Jo

Re: Nipping

Hi Jo,

This is a difficult one, and others on here may have more ideas as to how to stop this behaviour.

The only thing I can suggest is putting Kitty's muzzle on prior to opening the door to anyone, or when out walking her.

Am I right in thinking that you have had Kitty for just short of a year ... is this the first time she had displayed this type of behaviour? Might be worth having a word with your vet to ask if there's anything that could have changed her personality.

Good luck!

Susan.

Hi Susan,

Many thanks for your very helpful suggestion. Yes, using the muzzle is a good idea, and may be enough to break the habit, although perhaps a visit to the vet would also be a good idea.

Kitty has been with me now for 11 months to the day, and I love her to bits! The first time she did this was in November when somebody called to service my boiler, but at the time it seemed like a one-off behaviour. It is happening more frequently now, but only with people delivering things. It seems that people coming to the door are OK, but if they have a parcel to drop off she gets very excited. I'm fairly certain it is just playfulness. She does the play bow, and her tail is wagging like fury! No growling or showing of teeth.

She used to do it to me at meal times, especially in the evening (I feed her twice a day), probably telling me to get a move on! I managed to nip that in the bud (no pun intended) simply by saying 'Oi, no!' very firmly. I'm doing that with deliveries too, but so far with little sign of improvement.

Many thanks again for your thoughts and your support.

Best, Jo

I have a lurcher that had this very habit when he was comfortable with people, especially if you ignored him. He would nip your bum or nip the back of your calves if you turned your back on him in excitement.

It came to a head when he nipped the bum of the postie.

I was told to let out a high pitched yelp/squeal whenever he did this to startle him. If he nipped a visitor I would yelp and he would skulk into the house, four day is all it took and he has never nipped anyone again ....phew.

Worth a try.

Anji

Perhaps she's getting more attention when she nips. Mac gets very excited when he knows he going for a walk or food. He prances round the round the room like a horse doing dressage (looks really funny) tail going in circles and he snaps and chomps like a crocodile. He usually just misses me but if his teeth make contact, I shout ' NO!' and turn my back and sit down. When he's calm,we try again. Big fuss for good behaviour, cold shoulder/ignore for being naughty.
Perhaps you could ask a friend to pretend to deliver parcels and have a few tasty treats for good behaviour ( for the dog, not the friend)

Now if anyone could help me sort out my twirling ballerina of a dog on walks that would be good

Hi Jo,

Why not just shut him in another room when someone comes to the door? You have already had the experince of him backing out of his collar, easy isn't it? What if he had slipped past the postie and run off? That is a good idea from Anji too, but there is always the risk that you might get carted off somewhere if you started screeching at the front door. I definately wouldn't put a muzzel on him, I hate the damn things, never use them, gives the totally wrong impression of greyhounds, makes teveryone think that they are vicious dogs. Just shut him in a room, simples.

John.

Hello everybody,

Thank you all so very much for your very helpful comments and suggestions. I can see that there are a lot of things I can do to stop Kitty nipping people coming to the door, and I am sure she will soon learn that it is not 'the done thing'!

I know where you are coming from, Jenny, when you talk about ballerina behaviour! Kitty loves doing that too, especially on beaches and in sandy areas.

Many thanks again, Jo

I agree with John - until you can be 100% sure that Kitty won't nip somebody you need to keep her out of harms way. If she nips the wrong person you'll end up with the councils animal control officer at your door and probably be issued with a dog control notice, and that's assuming she doesn't draw blood.

Jennys suggestion of getting a friend to act out the role of delivery driver sounds sensible, provided you warn them what's likely to happen! I find most greyhounds are very sensitive and respond to a good telling off. I don't think "Oi, no!" is good enough, especially as the behaviour has continued. A proper telling off, i.e. a good decent shout and pointing at will be far more effective. Make sure you look like you mean it, or the whole exercise is pointless.

As I have 4 greyhounds, who are always keen to meet people at the door, I always keep them behind me, unless I know the person in the porch is someone they already know. They would just wag their tails and 'frisk' visitors for edibles but delivery men are sometimes nervous or just don't have time for them.
Bryn used to do 'snapping' when he became over-excited (before walks or when I came home after being out) but I just completely blanked him, put him outside, or even shut myself in another room, until he came up calmly, then he got a treat.
The same applies to Foxy, who will 'demand' a treat when we are finishing our dinner (they get one for not begging at the table). She's quite likely to nudge your arm and spill your coffee but she's learned that when I say '5 minutes' she has to go and sit down for a bit before she tries again. I have to confess it's become a bit of a game.
I suppose the bottom line is that, if your greyhound develops behaviour you really don't like, you need to make that very clear with a consistent and firm message. Like anyone, they love to be praised and hate to be told off or ignored.

I am happy to report that we seem to have resolved Kitty's nipping problem. She still barks when people come to the door, but has not tried to nip anybody. On one occasion she even decided, having told me that somebody was at the door, that she need not bother any further and went straight back to her bed! It was a loud yell from me that finally got the message home. I'm not sure who was the most startled - Kitty or the delivery man!

Thanks very much to all of you for your very helpful comments and suggestions. They were of great help. Kitty is a lovely, gentle dog, who just loves people, and she certainly does not deserve a doggie ASBO!

16th February is her first anniversary with me in her forever home, and it has been a wonderful year. I don't know what I did without her!

Best, Jo

Glad to hear that things have improved with Kitty

Bootsie knows that if I raise my voice, because I do it so rarely, I mean business !!!!! His Mummy Mo is a softer touch, as well he knows! He HATES getting a row, although very rarely gets one as he is generally very well behaved - we have been very lucky with him His 3rd Gotcha Day is on the 26th January - cannot believe that he has been with us for that length of time, it seems like only yesterday and, yet, I can't remember a time without him!

Wishing you & Kitty many more happy, and healthy, years together.

Susan, Mo & Bootsie xxx