Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Beech nut husks, etc

I don't know if anyone else has encountered this problem but Bryn, in particular, tends to pick these up between the pads of his paws. It can also happen with gravel of a certain size. Fortunately, he has the good sense to sit down and look pathetic, whereby I examine his paws (usually the hind ones) and ease out the offending object for him.
It's only happened rarely with the others so I guess it's mainly down to the individual structure of the pads, but it could lead to bruising and lameness so thought I'd mention it.

Re: Beech nut husks, etc

OUCH ..... poor Bryn

The problem we are currently having is the amount of grit / sand / salt on the roads ... when Bootsie gets something stuck between his pads, he just stands and holds it up ... he is a complete baby We are having to clean his paws after every walk.

It's a hard life being a greyhound .....

Susan xx

Re: Beech nut husks, etc

Hi,

Kitty has this problem in the autumn with small fur cones. She tries to limp on, and the first time I saw her like this I was terrified that she had hurt herself. However, when I examined her paws I found a small cone, which was easily removed, and she walked very normally straight away after that. Now if she starts limping I immediately check her paws, and it has been a fur cone every time. Like Bryn, it is usually one of the hind paws. It only happens in one area of the forest, so now I avoid it in fur cone season. It could so easily cause severe damage

Re: Salt & Grit

Susan,
Dogs Trust do some lovely paw protection cream, which is meant to help protect the paws from environmental damage. I use it on my four in the evening, while we're watching TV, and they really love their paw massage - it smells nice and works as hand cream at the same time!

Re: Salt & Grit

Thanks for that Marion ... will give it a go!

Susan x