Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fibrosarcoma

Our big boy Franco (previously Zola) had a mass removed from his upper front leg last week. We got his test results today and he has an aggressive Fibrosarcoma. We are trying to research this just now and desperate for any advice, info or personal experience. Our vet wasn't very hopeful but said she would make enquiries regarding possiblle treatments/surgery. We go back to see her on Tuesday morning.
Feeling heartbroken for our big beautiful blue boy

Re: Fibrosarcoma

Hi Shona.
A fibrosarcoma is not necessarily bad. It depends on its grade.
We all pray for a good outcome for big Franco.
We all remember him in the kennels as a very loveable character.
Celia and Jimmy.

The lab didn't grade it, they just said it was aggressive. His wound has started to open up due to the original site swelling again already. He only had his op last Thursday at which time they said that they weren't able to remove all of the mass because it was adhered to his skin and we were all still hopeful that it was cystic and nothing sinister x

Don't despair!
As Celia and Jimmy will confirm, my wonderful Jock had a fibrosarcoma removed from his rump by their vet over a year ago now and came to us with a huge stitched wound and no sure outcome, but today he's a bouncing 10-year-old and completely fit.
The only advice I can offer is to make sure you get an experienced surgeon if you opt for further surgery, as fibrosarcomas can be difficult to remove completely and can return. As Celia and Jimmy say, it also depends on the stage of disease, but try to stay positive, as you have given him everything to live for and he's a big strong boy. We shall be thinking of you and please keep us posted.

Thankyou so much Marion. I was hoping you would respond to my post because I have read all about Jock. When we got Franco's results it was the first time the vet was reading them (we took him back earlier than planned because we were concerned about the healing of his wound) and she was genuinely surprised and saddened. They had thought it was a cystic growth.
My initial reaction was - right ok, we'll get an amputation. She is reluctant to do this due to his size but feels that the long bone is already undermined which gives us real cause for concern regarding a possible fracture . . . Which would cause him a huge amount of pain. I'm assuming Jocks surgery was done at Vetrica? Franco is insured and we've checked his level of cover so depending on info/options we get on Tuesday he may get referred to Dick Vet.
We are trying to stay positive and hopeful of a good outcome

Hi Shona,
I see, if there is possible bone involvement it could be more complicated. I'm not sure but I think Jock's tumour was mainly located in the muscular region of his right hind quarter although, from the stitching pattern, it must have been close to his lower spine/hip joint. Celia and Jimmy may be able to give you more precise information. It was Emma at Vetrica who did his surgery but I understand she has moved elsewhere now. He will get the best of care at the Dick Vet if that is what you decide and we hope so much that the stunning Franco will have as good an outcome as Jock.

Thinking about you & Franco.

Susan, Mo & Bootsie xxx

Update on our big Franco. Saw our vet yesterday morning and she said she would refer us to Vet School. She thought we would be contacted within a couple of days with an appointment the Vet School actually phoned yesterday afternoon & we have an appointment for Franco to be seen by the Oncologist on Tuesday 24th February. We received all the info and paperwork today in the post. Feeling more hopeful now that we are getting the very best advice possible & fingers crossed they will have a treatment plan for our boy 🐾

All our fingers and paws are crossed for you

That is really positive news for Franco, Shona, and it's great that the Vet School responded so quickly, and are treating his case with all due urgency.
It's a stressful time for you but he's a big strong boy with everything to live for, so we are willing him to have a good response to treatment. Jock says 'You can do it Franco!'
Best wishes and please keep in touch,
Marion

We all wish him well too, lots of positive thoughts heading Franco's way x

The vets obviously believe that he can be treated which is good news.

All our best wishes go out to you Shona and Franco. We are all keeping our fingers and paws crossed for him. We know it is a big worry for you, but you will get so much help and support from all the lovely people on the Forum, so keep in touch with us. They helped us so much, when our big boy Leo, was ill last year with bone cancer. Lots of love, cuddles and wagging tails. xxxxx