Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Franco update re Fibrosacroma

We had our appointment at the Small Animal Hospital, Glasgow on Tuesday. All of Franco's tests came back clear which was a huge relief. No signs of mets anywhere else. The SAH have requested the original tissue sample that was removed so they can test it themselves. Oncologist isn't convinced it's Fibrosarcoma but it is definitely a soft tissue sarcoma of some kind. We will know histopathology results tomorrow and so far treatment plan is no further surgery to remove remainder of mass due to it's location (left front elbow) and 4 weeks of radiotherapy 3 times a week with possible chemotherapy. They were fantastic at SAH and very thorough. Thank goodness we have insurance which is covering treatment costs as it's estimated to be £5,500.00. Feeling very positive for a successful outcome 😍🐾

Re: Franco update re Fibrosacroma

Good news. As you say, thank goodness for insurance!!

Fab news that there's no sign of metastasis. That's the main thing, regardless of what type of sarcoma it is, and it may actually be more treatable if it's not a fibrosarcoma, as I understand they are quite diffuse, spidery, lesions that can be hard to remove completely.
Hope the radiotherapy/chemo do the trick for him without any further major surgical intervention. The costs involved are eye-watering but I guess you're talking 12x anaesthesia before you consider radiotherapy time and the chemo drug costs, so it all adds up.
I check Jock every day for possible lumps and bumps (he quite likes it!) and feel so lucky that we've made it this far with no further problems - fingers X'd for as all!!

It is worth every single penny Marion. By the time his treatment's complete we'll probably have got back every single penny (and then some) of each payment we've ever made. We weren't ready to give up on our boy and so glad we asked for a referral to SAH. Franco is still happy as Larry, eating well and having his usual daily mad half hour.
Your right about the Fibrosarcoma being difficult to remove completely and surrounding mass excision of tissue is recommended so even if it does prove to be Fibrosarcoma then surgery still isn't an option.
Wee Maisie will have to do every single journey with him because she missed him terribly on Tuesday when we took him. My Dad was left to dog sit along with his 2 wee whippets but he said she cried the whole time we were gone. On the homeward journey you would never have known they were in the back of the car . . . Complete silence.
If all goes according to plan then Franco's treatment will probably start next week. Fingers crossed for our phone call tomorrow

Hi Shona.
That is indeed good news. As you know I always felt there was definitely a fair chance of a complete recovery but doubt still lingers at the back of your mind.
We can all relax just a wee bit more tonight.
Please keep us posted.