Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Poppy (now Kai)

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to give you an update on Poppy (now Kai) now it's been almost three weeks in her new home. It's been quite a time! She's settled in really, really well and found lots of favourite spots in the house to snooze in. We go out for walkies a few times a day and she's becoming a bit of a celebrity round about where we live, everyone wants to stop to chat and get cuddles from her (she's ALL about the cuddles!). After the first week, where I was home the whole time to help her get settled, she goes to my dad two days a week when I unfortunately have to turn up to the office (I'm lucky enough to work from home most of the time). Despite my dad's dog being a "lunatic" collie he's absolutely besotted with Kai and very gentle around her, they spend much of the day cuddling on the couch and going for walks with my dad. Apparently Fen is more well behaved than usual when Kai is there, she must be setting a very good example! Toilet training is also going very well and in the three weeks we've only had a couple of small "accidents" in the house.

As some of you may know she had an ongoing injury with her tail (due to being very waggy!!). We went to the vet the day after we got home, and given some treatments to try, she was good as gold every single time - this the first dog I've ever had that actually seemed to enjoy it! But unfortunately, despite a course of antibiotics and trying some different things to let the air in (including a very fetching half syringe contraption made by the vet), it just kept bleeding and was never getting a chance to heal. SO, after our third trip to the vet I was told it would be best to have the tail partially amputated, Celia and Jimmy warned us this might have to happen. She had the operation late last week and it was a complete success, all is healing very nicely and absolutely everyone at our vets fell head over heels in love with her. She still has a lot of tail left thankfully, though they took off quite a lot due to damaged skin which would probably rupture the same as the tip, and she's still very waggy!

Without wanting to go into too much detail I have had some struggles with depression of late, but to be honest I've felt a million times better since this beautiful little lady came into my life. She's so full of happiness and cuddles and has really given me the very best reason to get up in the morning. Thank you so much to Celia and Jimmy for "matching us up". I'm not sure how to post pictures here but maybe a link will work - she has her own instagram account you can see here https://www.instagram.com/ladykaikai_/

Sorry for the complete ramble!

Love
Sarah and Kai
xx

Re: Poppy (now Kai)

I love these happy endings! Thank you for sharing your early experience with Kai. If she can have a beneficial effect on a collie, she is surely one special greyhound! I'm sure she will use her shortened tail to at least as good effect as before. We wish you lots of waggy days.

Hi Sarah,

I am delighted to hear that Kai is settling in well

Bootsie (the GRF Newsletter's Rover Reporter) lost most of his tail due to an accident (before he came to us), but he still manages to wag his stump furiously !!!

He ALSO has a fan club locally, and it takes forever to go for a walk by the time he has spoken to everyone, and examined the contents of their bags Everyone knows his name ~ no-one knows mine That's the greyhound effect for you

Like you Sarah, I suffer from depression and, many years ago, a Psychiatrist told me I should get a dog ... I was not impressed, and thought what a ridiculous thing that was to have said ~ I simply dismissed the comment. Anyway, and as you have also found out, having someone with big soulful eyes staring at you, and looking for their breakfast, gives you a very good reason to get up in the morning ...

Feel free to e-mail me anytime you feel like a 'chat' ... bobbynetherland@dsl.pipex.com

BIG hugs to Kai from me & Bootsie,
Susan xx

Hi Sarah.
Thanks for the lovely update on Kai. As Susan absolutely correctly put it - they give you a happy reason to live. Who can look into those eyes and not suddenly feel happy ? When they do something you consider wrong your anger disappears when you see those eyes looking up at you. The greyhound nature is perfect for use as a therapet. Several of our ex GRF dogs are now successful therapets.
Please give Kai huge cuddles from us and also please keep us updated from time to time.
Thank you for taking her into your loving home. She'll repay you
Uncle Jimmy and Auntie Celia.

Thank you all for your messages and kind words, I've passed them all on to Kai and given her big cuddles too of course!

We're back at the vet on Thursday for what will hopefully be one of the final checks on her tail after the op - it seems to be healing well though! We will let you know how it goes :)

Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd pop in to let everyone know how I'm getting on! Sorry I've not been in touch sooner but time really does fly when you're having fun! I get to spend all my days snoozing and sleeping until it's time for walks. And I love walks around here, there's so many cool things to sniff! I went to the beach for the first time a couple of weeks ago and it was great, but I'm not too sure about getting my toes wet ! I think a leisurely stroll along the sand while looking fabulous is more my idea of a good time.

Since mum usually works from home I sometimes try and help but apparently my spreadsheet skills need some work . Twice a week I get to go hang out with "granny and granda" and their mental Collie, Fen, I love to play for a little while but mostly I like to sit on "my" couch and watch him get into mischief. My neighbour dogs had puppies a few weeks ago and they're so cute, sometimes I get to see them which is great fun! Oh, and I got to my first football game recently, that was pretty boring but loads of people wanted to come say hello so it wasn't too bad afterall

My tail has healed just fine and it's not stopped me from getting admirers! There's a chunky wee staffy two doors down who's smitten, but he has no chance hehe. I've met lots of other dogs out on my walks and it's always really exciting, I couldn't believe my eyes when I met a St Bernard the first time though, he looked so scary at first but now we get on great now I know he's a big softie .

Hopefully I'll make it along to see you all sometime soon!

Love,
Kai xx

Hello Sarah and Kai,

We are so pleased that Kai has settled into your home, and "granny and granda's"! She sounds like an adorable girl, who gets on well with other dogs too, which is lovely.

So many Greyhounds have to have bits of their tails removed, due to racing injuries. Like Kai and Bootsie, our big Squeek only has half a tail, which he wags furiously all the time! It is like having your legs slapped with a whip at times!

I am so pleased to hear, but not surprised, that Kai has helped you with your depression. Like you and Susan, I suffer from depression and find it very hard to cope with life a lot of the time. The only thing that helps me to keep on going, when I am at my worst, is my 3 Greyhounds and the love that they show you, no matter what! They make me smile when I am really down and give me a reason to go on.

I think Greyhounds are the best thing ever, for people who suffer from this horrible condition. I highly recommend them to people who are depressed, or lonely. Every home for the elderly should have a Greyhound or two living in it. What joy they would bring to the people living there!

Love to you both and lots of happiness in the future with your wonderful little girl Kai. Best wishes, Liz xxxxx