Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lola

Hi everyone, just wondered if anyone has encountered this with their hounds.

Three times now in the last month or two when I've been walking Lola, we've encountered the kids from the local high school coming out either at lunchtime or at the end of the day.

Each time when she has spotted them in the distance, she turns and tries to run in the opposite direction, jumping and pulling. She is obviously very afraid, tail right between her legs and shaking. The first couple of times I was able to take a different route to avoid them, but yesterday, I just had to stand and reassure her. When they passed us, the kids either ignored us or one or two will ask if they can pat her and they're very gentle with her. Once we got past them she was fine again.

It appears that it's when she sees the crowds of them in the distance and they're all in black that she freaks out. She's definitely never had a bad experience with school kids since I've had her and I wonder if it could be something to do with when she was racing? Any ideas?

Should I avoid walking her at these times so she doesn't get distressed or gradually try to get her used to it?

Apart from that she's doing absolutely great.

Teresa

Re: Lola

Goodness knows what these poor souls go through before they come to us. She obviously relates to these "figures" for some reason. Our late Annie absolutely despised the man on the fishmongers van who went to my mums, we think it was the long white coat he wore which we thought maybe some folk at the track wore. Annie was the least aggressive girl imaginable but turned into Stephen Kings Carrie when the van pulled up - the man was ever so nice to her too! Certain things set my 3 off, footballs, people carrying sticks, loud bangs - the list goes on, and it can only be past bad experiences that bring their memories out.
You are doing all you can, no sense in trying to avoid the kids, if she encounters them often enough things should get a bit better but I doubt she will ever be 100% at ease.
So glad that otherwise she is doing well. x

Hi Isobel, Mikey, Dilly & Bella,

Thanks for your reassurance, it's a wee shame seeing her get into such a state. She nearly pulled me over in her panic to get away. I noted her getting a bit tense when we started our walk today as well when she saw a man on a motability scooter and a woman beside him dressed in black, so I crossed the road and she settled down again.

Apart from that she is great, still doing the mental zooming in the morning, she is so funny, I think she knows it makes me laugh by the expression on her face. Her coat looks fantastic, really shiny, the hair is growing back on her bum and she doesn't have big baldy white thighs any more

Teresa X

Hi Teresa I feel your pain we had willow aka girlie for nearly three years now and she is terrified of dogs any dogs big and small so as you can imagine her walks are a nightmare we try to walk her when it's quiet and I fight most days with people who don't have their dogs on leads as I'm scared they come running up to her she shakes and pulls to but we are used to it now funny because she lives no problem with our cat ha ha 😳😳😳x

Hi Teresa,

I'd just take her when there are no kids about, just avoid school times, problem solved. If she doesn't like something why make her face it if she doesn't have to?

Hi Gill,

What a shame, that must be really difficult. You just highlighted my pet hate too, owners with their dogs off the leads. Especially little, yappy, fluffy ones who insist on running right up to Lola. One of them even said, don't worry, he won't bite her!??? Although Lola was ok I was so glad she had her muzzle on, just in case. I notice she doesn't react to small furries. . . Until they run away from her, then she's very interested, especially if it's a cat!

Teresa

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply.

I wasn't sure if it would be better to try to help her overcome her fear or avoid it. I'd prefer to avoid it, not just because of her distress, but because I'm worried that she'll pull me over or get away. I don't normally walk her when the school is coming out, but it was so obvious on those few occasions that she got into a state and I'd never seen that behaviour before.

Teresa