Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
My Heart is Breaking Can anyone advise?

Back in 2009 I rehomed beautiful Ruby (formerly known as Jenny) from Celia and Jimmy. She has just had her 11th birthday on the 4th of July.
Ruby has always been a 'corn dog' all four paws, but these have always been regularly maintained and despite these horrible corns she has always enjoyed life and brought so much joy to our lives. I love her dearly she is my constant companion, where I go she goes, including work.
I got married last August and now live in Aberdeenshire and yes Ruby was right by my side at the wedding. She has attended greyhound walks with GAGAH when they have not been too 'stoney'. She prefers the grass, I feel rough surfaces bring the corns up quicker.
To get to the point, on Thursday night, I took her out for her bedtime walk and she collapsed on her front legs. We were only on the grassy area at the back of the house, but I couldn't get her to move. It started to rain and she couldn't get up. It was so upsetting and I done something I never do, I released her lead and walked a few steps to see if she would follow, nothing. Eventually a dog walker friend arrived and eventually she got up and hobbled home. She wasn't crying in pain but she was in a bad way.
The next morning I took her to the vet and he examined her. Ruby recently had x-Ray's and bloods taken by the vet as from the age of 9 she started to get stiff. There is nothing wrong with her vital organs. Her heart is good, her teeth are good. There is slight atheritis but not major. Her general health is fine and although she has been off her food for several days, now that I am cooking everyday for her she is eating well.
She became incontinent during the night about 6 weeks ago but is getting medication for this and is dry now, so that is not an issue.
She just can't walk more than 20 steps, without going lame. It is heartbreaking to watch. I'm massaging her, giving her a hot water bottle, doing everything I can. She has had stiffness in her joints for a long time especially getting up but this is different.
The vet has told me it is old age and nothing can be done. To keep her comfortable. She is on painkillers. He said she is not there yet but we should prepare ourselves. Garden only, if that is all she wants to do. I don't want my lovely girl to suffer. I've never had a dog before and I don't know what to do for the best. My husband is working away from home and is devastated. He is home a week on Tuesday and we are both trying to find ways to help her. We love her so much. Are we being selfish? It is unimaginable to think of putting her to sleep I'm absolutely devastated but deep down I know that day is coming. How do you prepare for something like this?

Susan x

Re: My Heart is Breaking Can anyone advise?

Hi Susan,

I'm afraid we can't offer you any practical advice ~ we have had many ups and downs with our boy's health but have not been in this position, for which we're thankful.

What we would like to say, however, is that you are in our thoughts ~ like you, we had a Civil Partnership last year and Bootsie was our ring-bearer - we love him to bits, and DREAD the day we have to start thinking about being without him ~ he was 8 yesterday. Bootsie is our first dog too.

Many people on this Forum will tell you that you will know when the time is right, that your greyhound will 'tell you' ... have a look at some of the recent posts (re. Bhan in particular).

Your vet will keep you right, and will not allow your gorgeous Ruby to suffer.

The last show of love you will be able to give Ruby is to let her go before she suffers ... our thoughts and prayers are with you, your husband and Ruby.

Hugs to you all,
Susan, Mo & Bootsie xxx

Thank you Susan for you reply.
Deep down I know. I suppose I'm just reaching out. It is all the worse that her Daddy isn't here just now. I can't face this alone we always said that when the time came we would do it together. It's just an awful situation. She is sleeping so peacefully just now. Tomorrow is another day. Thank you for your prayers and love and hugs to Bootsie xxx

Susan

Having lost our big boy Ace recently, we are heartbroken for you and know exactly what you are going through. We knew when the time was right, Ace told us but it does not make it any easier.

We are thinking of you all

Kaz, Pat, Jade and Bob

Hi Susan, we are all here to support you if you need us. Lots of us have been through this very painful time too and know exactly how you are feeling just now. It is normal to feel like this when you love your dog so much and cannot bear the thought of losing them. Ruby will let you know when the time is right and it will be the most loving and kind thing you could do for her.

Our thoughts are with you all at this very worrying time. Give Ruby a gentle cuddle and kiss from us. Lots of love, Liz, Richard, Squeek, Spot and Carrie xxxxx

This is very sad Susan and hopefully she will rally a bit, seems strange it happened like this but we can all expect the unusual when they reach old age. With Annie it was her back legs that went but she was 13 when we lost her. To be honest, she was really rickety for some time but not in pain or distress, it was when she took a tumble down the back steps we knew the time had come. As long as your girl is happy and pain free hold on to each precious moment, only you will know and decide what is best for her and preparation for that, however heartbreaking, will come naturally. I hope though that things do get better for you and we are sending good wishes to you all. X

Isobel is absolutely right - she will tell you when she's had enough. All you can do is tempt her with your lovely food, make her bed nice and comfy, let her walk as much or as little as she wants and love her till her Dad gets home. That's clearly important to you all so I hope very much that she will be able to wait for him. It's such a tough time for you.

Sorry to hear that Ruby is suffering. I can offer some advice on the arthritis and corns - try Yumove for the arthritis and Burts Bees Hand Salve for the corns. People on this forum and elsewhere have had good results from both.

Making the best decision for your dog at the end of their life is never easy. All I can say is to consider Rubys quality of life. If you can improve it, do it. If you can't then you have to make that difficult decision. I found this article on the internet that offers some guidance - click here.

Our thoughts are with you at this difficult time

I want to thank you all with all my heart for your kind words, prayers and wishes. It is a great support to me to know you are there and although I have cried buckets for those of you that have lost your beloved greyhounds, it gives me strength to know I am not alone. Thank you, thank you, you got me through a terrible night.
Ruby has been lying in the garden on her big comfy mattress for most of the morning (til the rain came!) She ate all her breakfast. I am cooking her minced turkey with sweet potato and butternut squash all mashed up and she loves it. She wont look at her kibbles. I have tried her on vets prescription kibble and she wont look at it so the vet said I should cook for her, and she has been eating with gusto!
I work at home so I can be with her all the time. She manages to go out for her toilet but not much else. She still lies in her bed upside down - that funny greyhound pose, all 4 legs pointing to the sky with a great big smile on her face. Its so hard because she looks happy and healthy until she starts walking. I don't want to make a decision to soon, and I don't wont to leave it too late.
Some of you have said she will let me know. I look at her and I'm searching her beautiful eyes, but I still have doubts. She just wants me to scratch behind her ears.
With regard to her corns, I do them myself with a dental elevator. After years of watching my vet in Kirkcaldy hulling 4 corns every 6 to 8 weeks. I brought her to Aberdeen and could not find a vet that could do it. Infact one visit was so traumatic I took her home and took it out myself. It is a painless, bloodless procedure and Ruby has no stress at all. My new vet says I do a fantastic job and I have her regularly checked.
I will let you all know how she gets on, and thank you all once again for all your kindness.

Susan X

It never ceases to amaze me how whenever they are a wee bit poorly only all the nice tasty food has to be offered. Not daft but go on spoiling her. x

Oh Susan I don't even know what to say to you my heart goes out to you and your husband prayers and thoughts your way gill john and willow xxxx

Hi Susan.
If Ruby is eating fine, looking happy enough and can still move around it is not time.
One day she will lie down, refuse to get up and will not eat for love or money. She will look at you with sad, distant, loving eyes and you will know that she is asking you.
Meantime try Steve's Yumove advance for dogs and maybe even Seraquin.
Finally, give her a huge cuddle from her old auntie and uncle. That's bound to help .
Thank you very much for giving her seven loving, happy years that many greyhounds never get.
Jimmy and Celia.

I'm so sorry, Susan. It's good that Ruby is enjoying the lovely home-cooked food and can lie outside in the garden.

I hope your husband is home when the time does come to let her go. Meanwhile, both Ruby and you are very lucky that you're home with her all day.

Enjoy whatever time you have left together.

Here are some pictures that Susan has sent of the beautiful Ruby.

Ruby 1

Ruby 2

Ruby 3

Ruby 4

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Jimmy and Celia for your message. It has confirmed to me that it is too soon. She loves her garden and still loves her food. I thought the worst because I thought if she couldn't go for walks her quality of life was miserable, but she has proved to me the last few days she is happy to lie in the garden and watch the birds in the bird bath. Ruby has been my first dog and I panicked.
I am going to do everything I can to give her a happy old age, keep her pain under control and give her lots of love.
I just want to say thank you for giving me such a beautiful dog. I remember the day I chose her. I had had my eye on Val as she was a beautiful fawn and white and looked like a super model. I took her for a walk but somehow we didn't bond. Then Jimmy took me to the first kennel and there was Ruby lying quietly in her bed. I hadn't even noticed her. She had been brought back to GRF after one day as the people who took her changed their mind. There loss was my gain, I took her for a walk and she looked up at me with those beautiful eyes and my heart melted. I knew she was MY dog! xxx

Hi Susan,

Our last girl lived to fifteen and couldn't walk any distance at all for her last two years but she was quite content to sit in the garden or just go out in the car and sit quietly with boot open wherever we went (once it was parked!). In her last weeks she struggled to get up but could manage with help and still enjoyed her food and getting attention from us.

I hope that Ruby has a few years in her yet, just at a slower pace of life. As others have said before, you'll know when the time comes - you'll see it in her eyes.

Thank you Steve. It surprised me yesterday that she wanted to come with me in the car. She can still jump in, but it worries me with that sore front leg, My husband has bought her a ramp, it arrived this morning and I have yet to try it, but yes she does love the car.

Hi Susan, we're so sorry to hear about Ruby and know exactly how you're feeling as we recently were in the same position with our big handsome Bhan, Celia & Jimmy advised us he would let us know when the time is right and he did, one night he looked at us with big sad eyes he looked at us with when we went to rehome one of these lovely hounds. I will never forget that day as we chose another hound Krystal (now Missy) and when we were leaving I looked at Bhan and he looked at me with the big sad eyes and was asking why didn't you take me, when we got in the car I was crying my eyes out for him and David said if we come back up and he's still here we're taking him home and sure enough 4 weeks later he came home. The night before we had to let him go he looked at us and the sad eyes were back only this time they were saying please let me go I've had enough!! I hope this helps Susan as we were terified we woul make the decision too soon as well. Thinkin of you all David, Lynn & Missy xx

Hi Susan and Ruby

Sorry to hear old age is starting to catch up with Ruby.

I can only really reiterate the advice given by others here, especially the yumove tablets, well worth trying her on them.

Our old boy Jack, who passed away last winter, was on reduced walks from about the age of 8 because he simply wasn't a fan of walking much (he lived to almost 12) so don't worry about Ruby not going on walks now as I'm sure she will be perfectly happy by your side all day and taking the odd trip out to the garden when she feels up to it. In fact one of our girls Louise has also recently gone down from 2 daily walks to 1 walk (she is 8). She simply has no interest in the morning walk but still gets hyped up for the evening walk. They adapt to their own needs as they get older and Ruby will just be finding a new routine to help her cope with her ailments. As long as she still has you and her comfy beds I doubt she will care much about walking to be honest.

I guess as long as you make sure she stretches her legs every now and again and keeps the muscles stretched and moving so she doesn't get stiff and lose too much muscle strength she will be fine.

She certainly still looks very happy in the pictures anyway

Al the best

Ben, Lyndz, Min, Lou and Charlie