Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Unmuzzled greyhound.

Hi Jimmy & Celia,

What a terribly sad and upsetting thing to happen for everyone concerned.

After reading all the comments, I would like some advice/reassurance please.

I always have Lola on a short lead, walking at my side, she is a dream to walk, but I watch her body language closely and am always watchful when I see her becoming alert or adopting a stalking posture. I find myself scanning the surroundings for signs of cats as she is most definitely not cat safe!

The only time she is off the lead is when she is in the garden surrounded by a 6 foot plus high fence. I also advised my neighbours who have a cat and another with a white fluffy puppy that I have a greyhound. I told them that when she is out walking she will be muzzled and on the lead, but when the weather is fine she will be unmuzzled in the garden. I felt it was important to explain that as a hound she had a strong chase instinct and was fast enough to catch a cat and that I don't want anything to happen to their pets or of course, my own. So just to be aware that she might be out. I'm glad I did as it was clear they didn't understand the risk, as they could only see the lovely, placid, sweet nature of the dog in front of them.

I have seen her go after a cat that sat taunting her on the fence a couple of times and clattered into the fence although I haven't seen any sign of a cat for months now.

So my questions are, should I also keep her muzzled in the garden on the off chance that a cat wanders in? And if she did manage to catch a cat, God forbid, in my own garden, would she still be subject to an ASBO?

Teresa

I'm no expert but I would keep a greyhound muzzled in the garden as a pet could wander in. Lots of people have told me that it would not be my fault if an animal came in my garden and was then attacked. I'm not convinced that is true. It would still be bad publicity for all greyhounds but ultimately I don't want any animal to be attacked. Damage could still be done with a muzzle on but I would not keep the dog on a lead in the garden if they have a secure 6foot fence to keep them in
If my neighbours had small dogs and cats I think there's a higher risk of an unexpected visit so I would not take a chance

Thanks for your thoughts Jenny B. It seems a shame to muzzle her in her own garden, as I said I haven't seen a cat in months and the wee dog is never allowed out off the lead. However, better to be safe than sorry.

Hi Teresa.
Cat in your garden - cat is an intrusion - if the dog kills the cat no action will be taken.
Dog outside your garden - kills cat - dog out of control - dog receives a doggy ASBO with it's consequencies.
So don't muzzle your doggie in your garden Teresa if you know that the dog cannot exit the garden. This is your dog's safe play area. The dog is entitled to that.
Give her a big cuddle from us.

Dear Celia and Jimmy,

Thank you so much for your reassurance. I guess having read the stories of the recent sad incidents made me feel a bit anxious.

I have a very secure high fenced garden, gated at both entrances, so feel it's safe to let Lola run, play and relax in freedom.

She is doing great, thanks for your kind thoughts.

Teresa

You are very welcome Teresa.
Give Lola a big cuddle from us.
Jimmy and Celia.