Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
rehoming:::::

Just had a wee look at rehoming didn't see a dusky and Anna before why does all the new dogs get homes before the ones who been there a long time xx just wondering

Re: rehoming:::::

Many people ask the same thing .....

Susan.

Dusky was 10 years old and likely to die in the kennels when we took her in until the very kind Munro family who volunteer regularly took her home the minute they saw the poor old girl.
The main reason a lot of old guys remain is because they are usually big boys with a high prey drive. People prefer to take the easy option. Anna was the most beautiful girl with no aggression whatsoever.
I cannot force people to take aggressive dogs.
If you folks come to the kennels I'd be over the moon to rehome some of them big tough guys to you

When a dog comes straight from racing they come from racing kennels to the GRF kennels. These dogs adapt quickly to their new home. When a dog comes back to the kennels after being in a family home they really struggle. That makes them a priority.

When our last two greys went over the bridge we went to GRF and asked who'd been there longest. It was Kell. We said we wanted him and his kennel mate (Lucy). Boss was returned to kennels and was miserable. He liked us, we liked him - he came home with us. Trina was returned to the kennels one day when I was helping out at the kennels. She was so sad. We fostered her the next day and the rest, as they say, is history. If we had the space I'd take Rita in a heartbeat, as I would have Dusky.

Rehoming dogs is not an easy job. Placing the right dog with the right family is tough, but a job that Celia and Jimmy have excelled at. You can't just say last in, first out - it's just not that simple. Place the wrong dog with the wrong family and you can pretty much guarantee they'll come back. That results in another heartbroken dog and a potentially good greyhound owner either giving up on the breed, or dogs, altogether.

That's cool I was just wondering that was all being nosy trust me if I had more room and no cat I would come and take one of your tough guys in a heart beat xxxx