Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wee Bit Advice Please

Raven has been attending the vet for dental treatment. When she was there for her first visit, the vet did blood tests and was concerned at her low WBC count (white blood cells) and high Creatinine reading. I mentioned the usual "you do know greyhounds have unique blood readings compared to other breeds" spiel which he said he was familiar with. Anyhow, got a week of antibiotics and asked to bring her back a week later which I did. They took more blood and said the WBC count is even lower so she's now on a fortnight of antibiotics.

I've read up a wee bit on different greyhound forums and websites since her first visit so when she got her 2nd lot of tests I asked what the WBC count was and was told its 5. From what I've read this seems perfectly normal for a grey - am I misunderstanding something here? They are no longer concerned at the Creatinine reading as everything else is normal. I brought up twice more about greyhounds having low WBC readings.

Other than a discoloured tooth (original reason for our visit), I have no worries about her health. She's eating well, active and no signs of any discomfort. I've only gave her one antibiotic so far but I really think I'm wasting my time here and I'm inclined to cancel the next follow up for more blood tests. However, part of me is reluctant to go against the vet. Anyone had any experience of this or offer any guidance?

Thanks

Re: Wee Bit Advice Please

Hi Wendy. The perfect WBC figure for a greyhound is 5.0 Do not be afraid to tell the vet this.
The perfect WBC for other breeds is around 11.0.
As a rule of thumb greyhounds are about half the count of other breeds.
Greyhounds have the richest blood of all canines which is why their blood is used for emergency dog transfusions. We've been asked to help several times in a dog's transfusion.
Jimmy.

Thanks Jimmy, appreciate your advice x

Hi Wendy,

To support what Jimmy was saying you can google Greyhound Blood Work and you get various websites to have a look at.

Here is a link to GreyHealth which is quite simply put.
Greyhealth Bloodwork website

Aggie Miller had an Issue with Keesha's bloodwork in the summer which she posted about on the G.R.F. Facebook page, You can always message her.

Hope you find this usefull and you get things sorted.

George

When I first got John (now deceased), his WBC count was four, the vet advised a bone marrow test and I am sure it was Jimmy who told me about greyhound blood and I changed vet who had no concerns, in fact he told me the WBC count between 3.5-6.5 was perfectly normal whilst for other dogs it could range from 6-17.

Celia and Jimmy know what they are talking about!

Thanks George, Anji. I'm going to phone the vet tomorrow and cancel the next appointment but I will ask to speak to the vet rather than the receptionist to explain my reasons. Raven has only had the one tablet out of the 2nd lot of antibiotics, I'm not going to give her any more. I'm considering changing vet. I've not had any problems with them until now but the fact I challenged this several times and was still dismissed has angered me. The X-Ray's and surgery are performed at a different location to my routine appointments so it wasn't the vet we normally see who did the blood tests. I'll phone the regular one, hopefully she will be more aware of what the readings should be!