Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Facebook

Hi everyone,

I have noticed a decline in the use of our forum over the last few weeks, it seems to be since a link was posted to the Facebook page. I know that most people use and seem to like these social media outlets today, but I hope you won't forget about our own forum which was here before Zuckerberg's abomination got going. Yes, I know it started in 2004 but it was slow at first.

Jimmy has to pay for our forum each year so I hope you will continue to use it.

John.

Re: Facebook

Yes, please do go on using the forum. I am one of those who do not use Facebook or any other form of social media, and I really do miss the regular and interesting posts that used to appear here almost daily.
Best, Jo

Thank you John,
I registered for Facebook once purely to vote for GRF in a competition but I'm not a user and the forum has always been my source of contact and information. I have also noticed a decline in postings and responses and it saddens me. The forum is very personal to GRF, although it is an open arena, and, if people log on to the site and see it is little used, it could reflect negatively on GRF. Big is not always beautiful. Lets keep the good, constructive stuff on the forum.

I will start this by saying my homepage on the laptop is G.R.F and always click through the please choose me, Lucky ones and the forum before going to any other sites.

The G.R.F website and the forum have to work togeteher with Facebook in the days of mobile technology. They are both tools which we have to engauge in for the benefit of rehoming our Greyhounds.

The pros of the forum and the website are it is owned and run by G.R.F.
The website is managed by a webmaster to keep it up to date, The forum being open is usefull as you dont need to register to use it and lets you interact with other users about Greyhound issues. It has to be monitored to make sure there is no abuse of it which has happened in several occasions.

All the information to help you decide if a Greyhound is suitable for you from how to adopt and how to contact G.R.F is you desire is all available.

The website shows most of the dogs available for adoption as well as all the rehomed Greyhound now over 1000.

There are many question answered in the F.A.Q section and the help and tips is helpful as well.

The forum however is not user friendly for mobile devices which many people access the site from. Viewing is ok but when you are trying to post and edit your post it does not work. I tried copying and pasteing yesterday spent 45 minutes and gave up till I could post with the laptop.

People like to share pictures of the Greyhounds in posts and for me this is where the forum looses over Facebook. You either have to email a picture to the webmaster or share links from a photo sharing service.

When I put on the digital dog show post on it took me hours to put it together. Uploading files copying links, pasting links and preview each stage till it was ready to post. Doing a post like that has lots of problems as I have lost all the data imputed, previewed and went to edit and the page goes blank, you have to start again.

Facebook on the other hand is instant which people like to see. They can upload picture them selfes with ease and then can be shared by their friends.
I uploaded the same information on Facebook as I did in my digital dog show post and it was only the time to upload over 800 that stopped it being instant
Most of the other Greyhound rescues even animal rescues all use Facebook to promote their work and to help promote dogs it is used as a tool. With owners pictures uploaded on the Facebook page it also highlights how wonderful these dogs are in a forever home.

The G.R.F family is changing it is not interacting as it once was. The dog walks are not attended the way they once were. The numbers at the dog show have come down over the last few years and the forum use is down, even getting help at the kennels is challenging sometimes.
The Greyhounds get adopted and the owners want to go there own way and not interact with each other as we once did which is their choice.

The numbers have been going down on the forum a lot longer than scince the Facebook page was linked to the website unfortunatly.

I dont have any quick soultions other than to say I will continue to use both.

Best wishes

George

I totally agree with you George. I do use Facebook and see posts from lots of other greyhound organisations and I have (like others) posted details of the GRF dogs on Facebook to try and assist with rehoming.

However, my first point of call is always the forum and the GRF site, and I like others have seen a reduction in the use of the forum, less on walks, less people at the dog show, and a general reluctance to help in any way for GRF.

I do sometimes wonder how many people actually bother to read the newsletter!!

Like you, I have no answers but think we all have to make use of both sites which have their advantages in different ways.

And for those who do not use Facebook, the continuation of the forum is an absolute must.

Kaz x

Hi Kaz,

A great reply. Nobody is trying to tell people not to use Facebook if they want to, but please do post on the forum as well.
Those of us who, like me, do not use social media find the forum of great interest, and I for one have received a lot of helpful information through it.

And for the record, I love the Newsletter too!

Best, Jo

Thanks Jo x

I have to admit that I have been remiss for not watching the forum with the same regularity. Life seems to get busier and busier and trying to find the time is the challenge. Its all about ease of use and convenience.

I built a simple website for the Residential Care Home I am a Trustee for. We decided to incorporate Facebook and Twitter into the website to try & appeal to a wider audience. This allows people to post photos and view news topics via various Social Media links and see it on the website too.

Its also configured for phones & tablets, which is very important in this day & age. I think the GRF website is configured fairly well ... maybe just the forum isn't.

Perhaps just some 'modernisation' would help although I don't see that as a solution to all the points raised.

I think George raises a very valid point about posting photos on the forum. It w/b great if there could be a simple 'attach photo' button so that this could be done instantly rather than having to contact John or use Photobucket, etc.
I wasn't aware of the problems of using mobile devices to interact with the Forum (I am a dinosaur who still uses a desktop) but this is another area that might enhance the experience and encourage more use.
Like George, the website is my daily GRF fix between precious Monday hound-walking visits. I like it just as it is but maybe a few tweaks could help. Would they be possible John?

5 people have replied out of 1291 facebook group members.
John is correct.
He has been our webmaster for 11 years and does magnificent work.
He deserves encouragement from a lot more than 5 people.
Had it not been for him you wouldn't have had your greyhound.
Realistically we have about 30 real members out of 1291.

Jimmy .... spot on. We only have Sox & Shadow because of the information on the website.

However, the exposure of Facebook & Social Media cannot be underestimated & has the potential to reach a huge audience & many more possible Forever Homes for these amazing hounds.

I'm going to go a bit off track here, but may aim is to help.

Check this page of Yahoo Finance (obviously a Global website) which has been seen by many thousands of people today
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ziyen-inc-sponsors-scottish-junior-223312616.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw

Our son, Mark, is a member of a young Junior curling team and through a company in California, they have been offered the chance of Social Media exposure in Scotland, UK, Sweden, Switzerland, Canada, USA and China. Do they need this exposure? Probably not but its got them a few sponsors (including Fitbit). Its an experiment by the advertising company to prove thousands of people will "Like" their Facebook page even if they know nothing about curling.

They got 1,100 "Likes" on a single post last week.

Why do I say this? Well, with the right input from people that know what they are doing, you can reach out to thousands of people in your chosen area (i.e. Fife, Lothian, Tayside).

Unfortunately, that's about as far as my knowledge goes right now .... but I'm working on it.

I think both the Forum and the FB group have their place. FB gives wide exposure to a large number of people. The Forum gives detailed information to those seriously thinking of greyhound adoption or volunteering. The Forum is very easy to use and John has done a great job with it. The exception is adding photos to your post. That is the main reason why I use FB more than the Forum. I like to see photos of other people's dogs and I like to post photos of mine. Would it be possible to have a facility like FB's where you click on a camera sign to add a photo?
(By the way I always read the Newsletter - it's interesting.)

I love checking the forum there are so many useful tips here and it's lovely to read everyone's stories about their hounds, I would say I check the FB page for last minute updates for walks etc. I think that each one has a place. I also read the newsletter every month, it's fun.

Keep up the good work, it is greatly appreciated!

I haven't been on much as I used to but I'm organising my wedding so hope I'm forgiven willow is bridesmaid and we making mummy and daddy official hehehe txxx

What lovely news Gill! I hope you have a wonderful day! I'm sure Willow will make a beautiful bridesmaid.

Best, Jo and Kitty

SO pleased for you both, and Willow will make a wonderful bridesmaid

Bootsie was the ring-bearer at our Civil Partnership - it was, as it will be for you, a very special day.

Congratulations xxx

Thank you jo and Susan soon as all bills are paid and stress levels back to normal I will be butting in again hehehehe xxx