Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Annie had a scare (other dog off lead)

Annie had a bit of a scare yesterday when she was charged at by an off lead large chocolate lab. There was lots of barking, Annie screaming and jumping/lunging. I think the lab just wanted to play. Luckily Annie was on her harness and lead, with her muzzle on. Neither dog was hurt. The owner apologised and put her dog on the lead, but now Annie is barking at every other dog she sees It's very annoying since she was doing so well with other dogs. Hopefully with reassurance, it won't take her long to get over her fright.

We didn't see any other dogs on our walk today and Annie had a good time out in the countryside exploring a local burn. Here she is paddling and hiding behind the reeds, lol.

photo Annie water_zpsitc5wad3.jpg

photo Annie behind reeds_zpshpvqa1tz.jpg

Re: Annie had a scare (other dog off lead)

Hi Mandy we have had willow nearly 4 years now and she is petrified of other dogs I have to take her to a quiet place for her walk wherein know no other dogs are it's very stressful but it's part of our routine now and I have a park right next to me but I can't take her in it xxx gill

Hi Gill :) Thank you. I will see how she goes the next few days. I have a nature reserve right on my doorstep and woods but they are popular with other dog walkers, so like you and the park, it would be a shame if I couldn't walk her there. Say hello to Willow for me. I'm sure she loves her quiet walks

Hi Mandy
Don't know if this helps but Mac n Maisie were dreadfully reactive when I first got them. I used a Beaphar gentle leader size medium to control their noses, a muzzle over that, I got one of those leads each with a spring in it so they don't seem to notice me tightening my grip. So two leads, one on the collar and one on the nose halter

First sign of a dog, we stop and turn sideways, as face on approach is considered aggressive apparently. I use the traffic control or shorten the length of the leads to draw the dog in close. I am closest to the unwanted dog and act as a barrier. The approaching dog is completely ignored by me. I keep my dog close by my side but I do not say anything. They get a nudge with my leg if they start figeting but I try to stay calm and keep my dog still but facing away from the approaching one. A bit of chicken and a "watch me" signal says focus on me not that dog

Calm behaviour from my dog is rewarded with lots of praise or with good quality treats like chicken. If my dog jumps or reacts, they are ignored afterwards and they get the cold shoulder from me. No reassurance or attention for being reactive. I'm sure they know when I'm disappointed with their behaviour

Rather than avoid your local area I would be there more often. I walk very slow and perhaps practise some heel work so she gets rewards for working and being good.

It's a slow progression but M n M are so good these days. They have their off days of course but to my amazement a border collie sat on my leg the other week and neither reacted! That was a highlight for me

Good luck

Xx

Thank you Jenny, those seem like some good ideas to try. I will have a look at the gentle leader. Annie did spot another dog last night and didn't react, but the other dog was a little way away, on lead and not coming towards us. Still that's hopeful as it's an improvement on the day she had her scare.
I'm glad to hear your two are doing so well You must have been so proud of them when the collie Sat down. what a great achievement.

Thanks again for the advice.
Mandy x

You're very welcome Mandy. It was a lot of trial and error before we started to see improvement so I was hoping to save you some time. Mac likes his own space so I try to make sure he gets it.
We were all amazed when the collie sat against my leg and neither dog reacted. Very proud of them both. A decent amount of exercise should also mean she can't be bothered to react
Celebrate every small improvement. You will get there Xxx

Thanks Jenny :) The good news is that Annie seems to have settled down again. She barked at one dog yesterday but hasn't done that today, so I'm hoping that she is over her scare. I will keep your suggestions in mind incase she starts to react again.
Paw wave to your two
xx