Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
BEAUTIFUL SQUEEK

Dear folks on the forum,

It is with the greatest pain and sadness that we have to let you know, that at 6pm last night, our beloved big brindle boy has gone over the bridge to Heaven, very peacefully and in the arms of his mummy and daddy, his favourite vet and a nurse. Carrie and Spot were taken in to see Squeek after he was gone, as Carrie was really lost when Leo died suddenly of the same disease and disappeared from our home and she did not know why. I hope seeing and sniffing Squeek will help them to know what has happened to him.

If you can call the passing of a beloved pet peaceful and beautiful, then Squeek’s passing was like that. We were given as much time with him as we wanted, before and after he was put to sleep. We spoke with the vet beforehand, to make sure that we were doing the right thing for him, as he could not speak for himself. She confirmed that we were doing the best thing for him, as his cancer would have already spread to his lungs, so not giving him very much time left at all and with the real risk of his leg breaking, which would have caused him incredible pain. We could not bare to think about him in that much pain, so with only the greatest love for him, we made the hardest decision to let him go peacefully, before his pain got to much to bare. Richard got on the ground with him and held his paw and stroked him as he passed. We spoke to him gently, telling him what a lovely boy he was and that we loved him so much and thank him for being a wonderful dog.

It has been so hard to deal with since we returned from holiday on the 25th June, as apart from his limp, he seemed to be in good health, loving his food, drinking well, still very happy to go for short walks and just like he always did, he was still barking at every dog he met in the caravan parks we were in and wagging his little half tail at the same time.

We are sure that our beloved big boy Leo, who sadly passed away, less than 3 years ago, to the very same illness, in the very same circumstances, will be waiting for him at the bridge, along with Harvey, who was a friend’s Greyhound, who came to stay with us every weekend, for over 8 years. He came for a sleepover with his 3 friends and to have some lovely walks with us, as his mummy and daddy did not keep very well. He did not get as many walks as they would have liked to have given him, so they asked us if we could take him at weekends and for other short spells when they were ill. Sadly, we lost him too this year, in February. Also, I hope that Sparky and a little puppy also called Sparky, Morgan, my son’s beloved dog, who spent more time in our house, than in his and Mac, my first ever dog, will also be waiting for Squeek, so he will be in very good company, as they were all super, beautiful dogs, who were loved so much.

I hope that when I die, I will be allowed to go over the same Rainbow Bridge that all breeds of beautiful dogs have gone over, as I would rather be with them. They have given me more unconditional love and comfort throughout my life, than lots of humans have given me.

I have not been very well over many years, both physically and mentally and my dogs have given me the greatest love you could ever hope to have. They have licked away my tears, when I was sad, even Squeek did that this week, though in great pain himself. They have given me a reason to go on living over the years, when humans have broken my heart. I could not live now without a dog in my life and I know I should not have a favourite breed, as a dog lover, but it has to be a Greyhound, the most beautiful, loving, majestic dogs I have ever had the pleasure to have in my life. I love them all to bits.

We would like to thank everyone on the forum who has sent their best wishes and comfort to us, it has really helped to know that people are thinking about big, beautiful Squeek and us, even people who did not know him, but like us, also love Greyhounds. We really have appreciated each one, even though we have cried reading them all. They were tears of love and sorrow for Squeek.

I have taken some lovely photographs of Squeek, during his last few days, doing what he loves doing best, which I will put on the forum, once I have come to terms with the great pain of losing him. You would not think that he was so ill, when you see how he looks in them. What a very brave boy he was and we will miss him so, so much.

Finally, we would like to thank Celia and Jimmy for the very hard work they do for these exceptional dogs. They are the most wonderful people in the world and do so much for the welfare of these Greyhounds, in finding them loving, forever homes and giving a home to so many of them in their own home. They have given us the best things ever that we could have hope for in life, 4 beautiful Greyhounds, so thank you both so much.

Re: BEAUTIFUL SQUEEK

Oh Liz, Richard, Carrie & Spot,

We are SO sad to hear your news. Everyone has an opinion, and it can make you doubt your own gut feelings, as I said last night, however, there are two things we can give these glorious dogs - a good life and a good death - you gave Squeek both.

I am crying just reading your post, so CANNOT imagine how you must be feeling - we have yet to experience the loss of a greyhound, and DREAD the day. I hope that when it comes, we can be as selfless as you two.

I think it was a great, and very brave, thing to let Carrie & Spot see their brother after he had gone to the Rainbow Bridge - I have heard, before, that this can help the dogs left behind understand what has happened. Also, I expect that their own instinct would have told them that there was something wrong with Squeek. Leo would, undoubtedly, have been waiting at the Bridge and they will wait there together now for their Mummy & Daddy, and brothers & sisters.

Liz, I TOTALLY empathise with you - I want to go to where my dog is when I die because, like you, Bootsie has brought me more unconditional love and joy than most of the human beings I have known over the years. Also, like you, I have suffered physical and mental illness over many years, and Bootsie gave me a reason to get up in the morning ... as I have heard so many people say: 'I don't know who rescued who'.

Squeek, and Leo before him, was a member of your family, and it is entirely natural to mourn their passing - you must all feel very lost right now. All we can do is send our love and say, once again, that we are here for you all. We will light a candle tonight to guide Squeek's soul safely.

Run free darling Squeek - have a good bark at those other souls at the Bridge. We will all miss you, but none more so than your beloved Mummy & Daddy who were with you right until the very end - you will live on in their hearts and memories always, until you all meet again.

Lots of love & hugs,
Susan, Mo & Bootsie xxx

Thank you so much Susan, Mo and Bootsie, for your very kind words again. I will not say very much more just now, as I cannot see very well for the tears being shed, but will be contacting you all soon. I need a little time to lie on the floor with Carrie and Spot, to give them some comfort, as they are looking quite sad and lost looking. Lots of love, Liz, Richard, Carrie and Spot. Thanks again for your comfort. xxxx

I am so sorry to hear this heart-breaking news. But you couldn't possible have done more to help Squeek through his final days, being there for him and giving him so many lovely treats such as the fish and chip supper. And then having the courage to make the final heart-rending decision to let him go. He will now be free of pain on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge, and I know that he will be there to meet you rapturously when the time comes for you to join him and all the other lovely dogs in that happy place.

My thoughts are with you all.

We are so sorry to hear your sad news. Squeek was very lucky to have such thoughtful and caring owners. I hope that you find some peace soon. It has been a week since our Jenny passed so our thoughts are with you.
Xx

I'm so sorry to read your sad news. You must be absolutely distraught but please take comfort from the fact that you gave Squeek a lovely life and you were brave enough to take the decision at the end so he did not suffer.
Thinking of you. xx

As sad as you feel just now squeek has the best mummy and daddy And couldn't have been more loved lots of love sent your way gill john and willow xxxxx

Liz and Richard.
We are so desperately sorry for you. We know how you feel about all your sons and daughters. We won't call them dogs - to you they are little furry humans.
We remember when you got Squeek - you came for a greyhound to replace Leo. You typically rescued two. We smiled and said that you'd been " Celiafied "
but realistically Celia knew they had both gone to a wonderful home.
Ultimately you made the correct decision like we all do since we love our dogs.
Squeek is now pain free with Leo. Enjoy running free across the Bridge boys.
Thank you Liz and Richard for being wonderful parents to Squeek/
Celia and Jimmy.

Dear Liz and Richard
I am heartbroken for you. It is such a hard decision to make but we all have to make that decision and you did the right thing for Squeek.
We know ourselves how hard it is immediately after our babies go over the bridge, as you also know with Leo.
But as others have said, you gave Squeek a wonderful life and he was truly loved to the end.
He will always be looking down on you with his new pal Leo and they will always be watching over you with smiles in their eyes and love in their hearts.

Take care
Kaz

Dear Folks,

We would like to thank everyone for the kind words about Squeek and our situation just now, which is so painful. Everytime we read the lovely posts, we are in floods of tears again, but this is starting to help us, by releasing some of the pain we are in. The Fife Forum has given us the best bereavement counselling we could have wished for.

We are not the only people in this sad situation this week, there is another family breaking their hearts. Carole and Ronnie have also lost their little girl Jenny a week ago which is so sad to hear. We send our love to you and are heartbroken to hear about another beautiful Greyhound going over the Rainbow Bridge. Thank you for having the courage to support us, when you were in the same pain yourselves. I hope your pain starts to ease soon.

Squeek will now have a little girlfriend to skip over the Rainbow Bridge with.

We will now spend the next few weeks giving Carrie and Spot lots of extra cuddles and love, as they are showing signs today of being a bit sad and scared looking. They have been very quiet and just wanting to lie in their beds most of the day. Carrie did perk up quite a lot though, when the word BONIO was mentioned tonight.

Thanks so much everyone. Liz, Richard, Carrie and Spot xxxx

I'm so sorry to hear of your sad loss. You did all you could for him with a good life and love. Run free at the bridge Squeek x

We're so, so sorry to hear your heartbreaking news about your gorgeous boy Squeek. Unfortunately we know only too well the pain you feel, having had to say goodbye to two of our beloved hairy pals in the last 6 months. Our thoughts truly are with you at this sad time, run free beautiful boy.

Elaine, Steve, Lama, Poppy and Rusty

So so sorry to hear this. I'm in tears reading your beautiful post so can't imagine what you are going through. Kai and I are sending you loving thoughts.