Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Clever Kitty!

It is almost 4 years now since my beautiful Kitty came to live with me (her Gotcha Day is 16th Feb) and in all those years she has never once come upstairs despite all my efforts to show her how. Although they are carpeted they are steep and narrow and she clearly found them far too scary. I tried everything – treats on the stairs, walking upstairs on all fours like a dog (I’m pleased nobody ever saw me do that!) and even letting friends’ dogs show her how to do it. Eventually I accepted that stairs were just not her thing.
This changed dramatically between Bonfire Night and New Year’s Eve when fireworks were being set off on a fairly regular basis. Normally Kitty’s safe place was behind my chair close to the radiator. But this year was even more frightening for her than ever and, much to my surprise, she raced upstairs and hid in my spare bedroom. All fine, except that when she felt safe again she couldn’t work out how to get down! I went up to help her, but she just didn’t want to know. However she loves yoghurt, so I put a little in a bowl, took it up to show her, and then placed it at the bottom of the stairs and left her to it. About 15 minutes later I heard her coming down very slowly, and she enjoyed her treat before coming to join me in the sitting room.
This happened on a few occasions, but once New Year was over I tried putting treats on the stairs for her again, also leaving a trail of treats leading to my bedroom, where I had put a lovely new bed for her at the foot of my own. She was very cautious to start with, but within three days she was walking up and down stairs confidently, and loving her new bed. I had to teach her that upstairs was part of her kennel and not the garden (ho hum!) but she got the message very quickly. I’m proud of her!

Jo

Re: Clever Kitty!

Very clever Kitty and very patient you, Jo. My four all troupe upstairs to their night-time beds in my bedroom (there's not much clear floor space). If anyone needs out in the night, they get up and shake their heads vigorously to wake me up then head for the stairs. I have a night light at the foot of the stairs as Jock (now 13) sometimes bags the sofa downstairs for a while and doesn't like climbing the stairs in the dark.
They also go there on the rare occasions that I go out and leave them, as they can hear the car scrunching the gravel when I come back - the allotted sentry jumps on my bed and looks out the window to make sure it's me then they all tear downstairs to be behind the front door when I open it!
I'm sure Kitty will love her upstairs bed more and more as time goes on.

Re: Clever Kitty!

Thank you Marion for your lovely reply. I enjoyed reading about how your four act upstairs. Kitty has not quite got that far yet, but when I turn the lights out she comes up and puts her nose to mine to check me out before going to her own. She has not yet tried to join me on my bed, but loves stealing things from it given half the chance! I also have to be careful to hang my clothes out of reach or she will collect them and take them to bed with her.