Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Any ideas for chew-proof leads?

Rita has the sharpest teeth on the block and also a determined nature. She has demolished a couple of muzzles and a few other bits and pieces in the past, but tonight's escapade takes the biscuit: we were out for a walk, Rita, Jake and I, I stopped to chat to a friend with the dogs standing peaceably beside me and suddenly felt a wee tug at one of the webbing-type leads - it was Rita swiftly and efficiently chewing her way through it - and it wasn't even her lead, it was Jake's! Luckily she had only got about half way across and he is a very laid back dog .... but .... can anyone recommend some chew-proof brands of lead? I don't want to muzzle her all the time when we're out for a quiet evening stroll but I also don't want to see any of them taking off unexpectedly. Cheers to all the hounds and their two-leggers.

Re: Any ideas for chew-proof leads?

Hi Rachel,

I can't recommend anything specific, but Amazon has quite a large selection of chew-proof dog leads of various lengths and materials.
A possible alternative would be to spray all the leads with an anti-chew training spray. It is safe for dogs, and can be used on fabrics among other things. It tastes disgusting! Kitty was quite a chewer, and this certainly stopped her! It does need refreshing every so often though. Johnsons Veterinary has a very good anti-chewing training spray and this is available from Amazon too. A lot of pet shops also stock it.
Good luck!

Jo

Many thanks. Will certainly try the anti-chew spray and also will have a look at some of the various options for leads - currently am thinking of much shorter leads attached to their new posh Greyhound Trust harnesses which have just been delivered and which they seem to like.

How about a chain lead ?
Jimmy.

Experimenting with anti-chew spray on the webbing leads and a shorter chain lead - Rita was not amused when she reached down and took a mouthful of it, gave me one of those greyhound looks, but it's definitely chew-proof! Many thanks for suggestions.