Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: MY LOVELY BOY SPOT - DEVASTATED

Thank you Susan for your kind words. We really appreciate the comfort. Spot was back at the vets on Friday for a check up. The fluid around his lungs is starting to come back again and making him cough, but not as much as before. The vet said they took 2.6 litres of fluid from around his lungs, not 2.2 litres, as I had said previously in my first post. Each day is such a worry.

When he is lying in his bed quiet, we get very worried and think it is his time, then he suddenly gets up, goes and sniffs everything in the room, like he did when he moved in, then he will eat some dinner, or a few bit of cheese and is quite happy to go out for a very short walk, then we think maybe it is not his time just yet.

We have been lying beside him lots, tickling and stroking his tummy, as he loves that and it helps to ease his breathing. The vet does not want to take any more fluid from around his lungs and heart, as it will just come back again, delaying the inevitable. We don't want to keep on having different procedures done on him, as he has had enough already.

We don't think it will be very long now, so just want to give him all the love and comfort we can give him and when he is showing no interest in his usual pleasures, or is in any pain or discomfort at all, we will know it is time. It is the most horrible thing to go through, when your Greyhound is really ill, with no hope of a cure. You feel so helpless, so scared, you can't sleep, you don't want to eat, as there is a knot in your stomach with the grief.

It is a great comfort though to read all the posts on here and to know that people are thinking about Spot and wishing him well and us. We are hardly ever on here either now, only to look at all the new dogs and all the lucky ones who have found their forever home.

Everyone seems to be using Facebook more now. I prefer this forum, if I have anything to write about. I very seldom use Facebook for myself, as I don't think it is a very good, or safe thing, giving out all your information on it. I will comment on other people's posts though on the Facebook Greyhound Rescue Fife.

Thanks again Susan, Mo and lovely Bootsie, for all your support during this very sad time for us. We look forward to seeing you all again this year sometime, at maybe a Greyhound event or two. Give Bootsie a big cuddle from us. We will keep in touch with the situation with wee Spot. Lots of love, Liz, Richard, Carrie and Spot xxxxx

Hi Liz and Richard.
We've just got back on the computer and read the terrible news. We are so very, very sorry. Why should you two nice people go through all that, in what is early in a dog's life? There is no justice. I had a greyhound Fritz who lived to 17 years old and never had cancer.
There are certain things tell you when it is time.
1. The dog goes lethargic and doesn't want to play.
2. He goes off his food and will not eat.
3. He will look in your eyes and you know what he is saying.
We've, sadly, gone through this many times.
I would say that Spot still has a standard of life and the day is still not here.
When such a day does come, remember all the good things ( thousands ) never the bad, only ( 1 ). You've given all three dogs the kind of life that most greyhounds only dream about. Thank you very much for that.
Huge cuddles are sent to Spot.
His auntie Celia and uncle Jimmy.

We’re all so sorry to hear about Spot. Terrible, terrible news again for you both. Xxxx

Lots of love and thoughts to you at this sad time so sorry xx