Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
"SPOT" THE ANGEL IN THE SKY

We would like to thank everyone who has left kind messages about Spot on this forum and on Facebook. It has been comforting to read them.

It is so lovely that people on this forum, send love and best wishes, to all the mummies and daddies who are going through the most awful time, when they lose their beautiful Greyhounds. We all need to support each and everyone of them.

Sadly, our vet agreed with us that it was Spot's time and at 2pm yesterday, he went to be with his 2 bridge brothers, Squeek and Leo.

Little Spot was so brave and just went into a deep sedation, and very quickly passed away in our arms, without any stress to him, or pain. I was holding his head and stroking him gently and telling him how much I loved him and Richard was holding his body up and also talking to him and stroking him. The vet and the nurse then left the room, to give us time alone with him. We got down on the floor to cuddle him for the last time and to say goodbye and to say thank you for all the happiness he had brought us. The worst bit was having to leave him there, lying on the furry blanket the vet had put down on the floor for him, knowing that we would never see him again. The vet then came back in, after a few minutes and wrapped him in the blanket, like a baby.

We will probably get his ashes back before the end of the week, then he will come home again to us and Carrie. We asked the vet to shave a little bit of his soft, fluffy fur for us to keep, which she sealed in a little plastic bag. We have a little bit of Squeek's fur too in a little bag, which we keep beside his ashes. We did not think to do that with Leo though, as he was our first Greyhound and we were in such shock at losing him.

I don't think it will be too long before we go and adopt another beautiful Greyhound, as we don't want Carrie to be alone. She has always had the company of at least one boy, in the house to play with, then 2, and now she is left alone again. I did say to Richard that I did not think I could go through this again, as the pain of losing a Greyhound is too much and I have gone through it 3 times already, but I know in my heart, it is the only thing that helps us with the pain of losing one. We will remember with so much love for them, all our bridge fur babies until the day we die and hope that they will all be waiting for us at the Rainbow Bridge. That is the place that I call heaven.

There is only one good thing that comes out of losing a beloved Greyhound, and that is it can give the chance of a forever home to another two Greyhounds, a new one that you consider adopting and a space for another one to get into a rescue, with the hope of a home in the future.

I will put some lovely photos of little Spot on Facebook hopefully, as it seems easier for me to post them there.

Thank you everyone for all the help you have given us over this very sad time once again. It is greatly appreciated.

Love to you all and especially Celia and Jimmy, who changed our lives for the better. We will see you soon!

Spot's Mummy, Daddy and little girlfriend Carrie, who is missing him so much and is very lonely. xxxxx

Re: "SPOT" THE ANGEL IN THE SKY

In memory of spot I have posted these pictures that Liz and Richard posted on the Greyhound Rescue Fife Facebook page.

R.I.P. Beautiful Spot gone but never forgotten.

We all send our love.

George, Morag

Ace & Chelsea

Thank you so much George, for putting our lovely boy's photos on the forum. I just could not cope with trying to understand how to do it at this time. I am so glad to see them on there. Thanks again, so much. Love from me, Richard and Carrie. xxx

Lovely photos of Spot - so nice to see.

Love,
Susan xxx

Thank you Susan. It was very kind of George to put them on for me. He does look lovely in them. I did have lots more taken on his last few days, but they are just too sad to look at just now, as he had had lots of his fur taken of him, to have tests done. He had such a wonderful, fluffy and silky coat. xxx

I am so sorry to read this, but how lovely for Spot that you were both able to be with him at the end, difficult as it must have been for you. It is good to know that he went to sleep peacefully and without pain, knowing that those who loved him were there for him until the very end.
Thank you, George, for putting the photos on the forum. He was a very beautiful dog!

We are so very sorry to hear about SPOT .We know exactly what you are going thro at this sad time,its a fact that if you love much then you will hurt much,we know how much you loved all your Greys ,Liz and Richard you are in our thoughts and prayers God Bless
Bert and Irene

Thank you so much Jo for your kind words. We really appreciate them. He was very beautiful and a fun loving dog, but they all are in our eyes. We miss him so much in the house already, as does Carrie. We just can't believe how quickly they can get ill, when he has been so healthy and with no knowledge of how he got the rare cancer that he had. I suppose we will never know.

Thank you Bert and Irene for your kind words of sympathy. You are right, people keep on telling me that because we loved all of them so much, that it hurts very badly. We all have to go through this eventually with our beloved Greys and the pain it causes us when we lose them, but there is so much compassion and sympathy given by the kind people on this forum and on Facebook, that helps us all to try and get through this horrible time.

We hope that you are all well and we will hopefully see you at the next Greyhound event. Lots of love to you all. Liz, Richard and Carrie. xxx

So sorry to hear this news - it never gets any easier. You and Carrie will know when the time is right to get another companion.

Thank you Steve. She seems quite lonely now without another dog in the house and she looks a bit depressed. She has always had at least 1 or 2 other male dogs living with her. When Leo died, we got Squeek and Spot, then Squeek died 7 months ago and now Spot too. The house is so quiet now without Spot.

We have never waited that long to get another Greyhound, when we have lost one, as we want to give another one the chance of a forever home, sooner rather than later, then another one can take its place in the rescue. That way some good comes out of losing a beloved pet and helps us ease the pain of the loss sooner. We never forget the dog that has gone and we are not replacing them, we just want to help another one. We will never forget any of the dogs we have lost.

Do you know anything about big Davy, as we like him very much? We have always liked big Greyhounds and he is big! I did email Celia and Jimmy last night, asking for Davy's story, but have not heard anything back yet.

Liz I was at the kennels on Tuesday and met Davy ,he is a fantastic blue boy and a perfect gentleman,the picture on the lucky ones doesn't do him justice he is a stunning dog. His story is on the dog of the month, hes the biggest Greyhound that I have ever seen absolutely stunning

Thank you Bert for that. You have really brought some good news to us, which has lifted our spirits, as we are so down just now. I think Carrie would love to live with him and so would we. We will phone Celia tomorrow to ask her if we can go and meet him with Carrie at the weekend. I am now crying with sadness for Spot and happiness for Carrie and us. Thanks again
Bert.

Hi Liz and Richard.
We are so sorry that Spot has gone. He was a lovely pet and you could never replace him. You will though have lots of happy memories of him and we thank you both for taking him into your loving home and giving him such a great life.
Davy is a different dog but I am sure that you would love him too just as much.
He has lost his little girl friend Nina and he is looking for another one.

Thank you Celia and Jimmy. He was a super little dog and so fluffy. We will miss him so much, as we still do, Squeek and Leo. Carrie has now lost all her boy friends and is very lonely and sad looking. I don't think Davy will need to look far for his new little girl friend, she is waiting for him here. She is looking forward to meeting him, as we are. Love from Liz, Richard and Carrie. xxx

Sorry to hear of your loss lots of love from gill john and willow xxx and Davy looks handsome xx

Thank you so much Gill, John and Willow. Yes he looks a very big handsome boy and our Carrie is going to meet him tomorrow. xxx

We’re all so sorry to hear about Spot. He had an amazing home and I’m sure he knew how well loved he was..RIP lovely Boy x

Thank you so much Jenny. I think he had a hand, along with Squeek and Leo, our other bridge boys, in choosing a very big boy for us, ie Reuben, aka Davy. He is the most beautiful, loving, big softy of a dog, we could ever hope to meet and has brought back happiness to our home. I am still crying over losing
lovely, fluffy Spot, but when Reuben sees me crying, he comes over and licks my tears away. We can't thank Celia and Jimmy enough for letting us adopt him and of course, Spot, Squeek and Leo for having some influence on our decision.

It’s always a hard decision when and even if, to get another dog. I read about Davy and thought he in particular it sounded like he needed a special home. I’m sure Leo, Squeek and Spot had a paw in sending him your way. He’s just perfect for your family. I wish you all every happiness. Xxxx

Thank you so much Jenny. He is settling in very well and is such a lovely, big and gentle dog, with a really happy and fun loving nature. We love him to bits.

Aww Liz and Richard so chuffed your new furry friend is easing the pain and you gave another grey a loving home lots of love and kisses to you all gill john and willow xxx

Thank you so much. He is a really lovely dog, full of fun and just like a young puppy, a very big puppy! He comes over when he sees me crying about Spot, which I still do most days and he licks my face, as if to comfort me. He is a very sweet dog and just loves being in a home.