Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ollie (and Daisy)

A big "Hi!" from Ollie to all his fans at GRF. Been with us for a week now and is settling in nicely after a few "hyper" days, getting used to new surroundings, new companion, new people … and new routine.

Main achievement to date - negotiating our stairs. He just needs to avoid hesitating half way up, but has made it every time so far. Now he needs to learn that garden plants aren't a diet supplement, and walkies do not start at 4.30am (or 5.00am, or 6.0am …). We're working on these. Is living up to his billing as a character, and is a dream walking on a lead (the first dog we've had that likes the lead and doesn't pull).

"Who's Daisy?" you ask. She's the beautiful, sweet-natured Greyhound we adopted just over 3 and a half years ago (end of 2014). Daisy had to deal with an elderly, sometimes cantankerous, Collie cross but took it in her stride, sharing with him for nearly 3 years. Now she's living with Ollie! Signs are they'll make a great pair.

Will come back with an update once Ollie has settled in properly.

Ian

Re: Ollie (and Daisy)

Thankyou so much for posting this update, I'm THRILLED to know how Ollie is settling in, he really is something else. I'm very pleased to hear how well he's doing. Please give him a big hug from me <3

Thanks for the update on Ollie. I used to walk him every Friday and indeed he was a dream on the lead - never pulled at all. The Red Brick Road part of the kennels is just not the same without him. But I'm so glad he's got a lovely home.

Thank you for letting us know how he's starting off in the big wild world. Once the light mornings get later, his get-up-and-go-walkies urge might relax a bit! Please keep us posted on progress.
His place in the kennels with Aggie has been taken by Arthur of the amazing ears (Arf, as I affectionately call him), another worthy deserver of a wonderful home.

It's been a while since I posted about Ollie; once, when he came to us, but I've neglected updates.

I'm sorry to say that this update is a sad one - we lost our boy on 16 July. He had been failing since the start of the year but went downhill very suddenly on the morning of the 16th and we had lost him by lunchtime.

He came to us in July 2018 and was a character who we'll miss terribly. Look at a lead and he was jumping up looking for a walk! He enjoyed walks and was always keen to get going right to the end. If food was being prepared (his or ours - didn't matter) he was there at your back. Would have been on the worktop if he could've managed it. He also had a talent of lying in awkward places, and at equally awkward angles, not moving and expecting you to step over him. Yes, we do miss all that!

He was a big loving and loveable boy whose passing has left a big hole in our lives and who we were glad to have with us for four years, plus one week to the date. We've said our goodbyes, but he won't be forgotten.

And Daisy? She powers on, as sprightly and active as ever. Been puzzled and upset over the past week looking for her companion and not eating as normal, but is coming out of it and her appetite is returning, thankfully.

Dear Ian,
So very sad to have your news of Ollie, a very special boy, and lucky to have had over four years of happiness with you. These losses are always so hard but Daisy will help you through and you had time to forge some great memories together. Be kind to yourselves, as you were to Ollie.
Thanks for letting us know,
Marion

Oh Ian. I just saw your post about Ollie. I remember your gorgeous boy in kennels and cannot believe that was 4 years ago. You gave him a wonderful life in the time you were together. I'm sure Daisy is missing him and I know these wonderful dogs leave a huge hole in our hearts when they leave us. Cherish your memories of him. So sorry to hear your news.

Oh dear, Celia and the staff and myself remember Ollie well.
Some dogs are characters and they stand out in your memory. Ollie was certainly one of them - a real fun character. It shouldn't have been his time to die. He was too young.
Run free over the Bridge big man. There are lovely tables there covered in delicious food.
God bless dear Ollie.
Uncle Jimmy and auntie Celia

Marion, Linda, Jimmy and Celia - thank you all for your comments. We have an Ollie-sized hole in our lives and it's comforting to know that he made an impression with you and you remember him with such affection.

Yes, Jimmy, it shouldn't have been his time but I'm sure he'll be enjoying the treats waiting over the Bridge - he'll have no problems getting at the tables!

We've started thinking about filling that hole, and Daisy looks to do better with a companion, somebody to watch out for and boss in her own quiet way. Likely we'll be in touch fairly soon.

Ian