Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fireworks

Is anyone else's dog really stressing with the fireworks.

Re: Fireworks

Hey guys thanks for all your feed back and advice on here not one person answered back and you all have greyhounds

Hi Gill,

I'm so sorry that you have not yet received the help you hoped for last night. I suspect that the reason is that many people, me included, were so busy looking after their own terrified hounds that they had no time to be working on their computers. However, I am so sorry you did not have the immediate response.

Here we have had fireworks for four nights on the trot, and Kitty has been absolutely petrified. I have tried all the usual things, like drawing the curtains, dimming the lights, playing loud music to drown out the noise, providing safe places (Kitty has several, and I never know which one she is going to choose. Sometimes she had moved from one to another, and once she even tried to climb into the bath). Diffusers, collars etc are of no use, and she won't let me apply a thunder wrap. Zylkene, has not worked, nor has Rescue Remedy. The vet has prescribed Xanax for these occasions, but even that is not all that successful.

What does work is that Kitty likes me to be near her. Sometimes she likes to be touched, and sometimes she does not, but when she wants contact I use a mixture of long, gentle strokes, T-Touch and Reiki. It does not completely reduce her anxiety, but it definitely helps. She also likes it if I drape her blanket over her. Yawning and deep breathing (by me) sometimes help her too.

Finally, no matter how early it is, if she does not want physical contact, I go to bed (she is usually somewhere on the landing) so she knows where I am if she wants me.

I know this is too late for this year (at least I hope so!) but I hope some of these suggestions may help on future occasions.

Good luck! Jo

Hi Gill
I am sorry that no one answered your post I have Billy a6year old greyhound who does not like fire works although he doesnt get overly stressed the longer they go on the more agitated he he gets ,there is dog calming music on you tube ,we tried the reggae music and that had some effect,if you go onto Greyhound Rescue Fife Facebook page you will see many greyhound owners with the same problem and some useful tips hope this helps. Fireworks should be banned

I'm sorry, but we don't get much bothered by fireworks where we live and, when we do, my hounds seem quite chilled about them. They might give me a quick look to check that I'm OK with things and then they just settle down again. I know it's a major problem for lots of greyhounds and their owners but I've never had to deal with it.

Hi there,
I hope you and Willow got through the worst of the fireworks.
Most of the methods to help our hounds need implemented some time before the event to allow it to build up in their systems.
There is also medication available from the vets to give to settle them but it still needs organising before so you are prepared for the night of the main event, sadly it can go on for weeks either side of the 5th of November.

Usage in the forum has decreased with many members now preferring to use the G R F Facebook page that is why you probably did not get a reply last night as well as dealing with their own hounds, thats what i was doing anyway as our Chelsea is petrified of them.

As Bert said in his post there were numerous posts about fireworks on the Facebook page.
We have no control on how members like to share things with many choosing Facebook because it is easier to share pictures and videos on that platform.

There is a link to the G R F Facebook page on the homepage of this website.

You can also Googling the subject lots of suggestions to try, some work for some and some don't. Its trial and error sadly.

Hope it is a bit better now.
George