Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bess won’t leave the house

We adopted Bess in 2016 after the passing of our beautiful Ruby. Bess was a shy girl, but Jim and I felt she deserved a chance so we took her home to Aberdeen. Initially she was scared of everything but after a few weeks she was great. She has always been clean in the house and she loves the garden. She enjoyed long walks in the forest and around the village and she gets on with all dogs even small furries.
Bess became best friends with my neighbours dog Monty, a German Pointer. Louise and I would take them long walks together and every night they had their bedtime walk together around the village. They played with each other in each other’s gardens and when Louise and I went shopping we would leave them together in the house. They even had sleepovers! Bess had so much more confidence when out with Monty.
Sadly, Monty passed away in August this year and since then Bess has refused to leave the house apart from the garden. It is heartbreaking because she looks out the window to Montys house as she always did in anticipation of him coming over to go for a walk, but when she sees Louise without him she just won’t go. I’ve took her to the vet and he had prescribed her anti anxiety tablets but they have made no difference. I have a behaviourist coming to see her on 27 th December. I try every day, but she just ‘statues’. She used to love going out in the car, but now she won’t even leave the car. I have tried taking her out with other people’s dogs but she is not interested in them. Any advice would be appreciated.

Re: Bess won’t leave the house

Hi Susan,I remember taking Bess to the Aggricultural Show at Forfar we had five other dogs with us that day who were all keen to walk round the show all day but Bess was quite content to stay with us in the gazebo such a lovely dog.Perhaps if you could get Montys collar and put it on her and maybe use one of Montys leads when you take her out,this mightb give her some comfort and re-assurance ,hope this helps.

Hi Bert,
Thanks for your reply. We have tried all this. Bess has his coat, but it makes no difference. There is a greyhound walk in the forest up here soon, I will try to take her. She loved the forest but now she won’t leave the car. I don’t mind if she becomes a ‘house dog’, I guess I’m just more concerned for her health if she doesn’t go for walks. I remember Celia and Jimmy had Captain Jack who was reluctant to walk. I see he got a home and I would be interested to know if he improved or is a house dog.

My lurcher, Charna, lost her best buddy, Mr Bean, and became extremely nervous, making large detours rather than passing other dogs. When I got my greyhound, Kim, however, she immediately re-found her confidence and marched up to other dogs happily to say hello. Maybe she just needs a new hero in her life? I know it's a big step.

Thanks Marion for your reply. We have been considering another grey but we are not sure yet. It’s something to think about.

I had a similar situation a few years ago when I lost my girl. My boy didn't cope very well at all and only regained his confidence when I adopted another female greyhound. Sometimes they just need a buddy.