Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Best treats for greyhounds

Hi, just wondering if anybody had any tips on what treats is best for greyhounds, i've heard good and bad things about a lot of dog treats, any advice would be great.

Re: Best treats for greyhounds

Hi Janet and Simon,

Pedigree products are considered to be good, and my vet certainly approves. Kitty particularly loves Tasty Bites Chewy Cubes with Chicken and Tasty Bites Chewy Bites with Cheese.

Best, Jo

Please do not give them hide chews or sticks these are filled with chemicals and bleach to make the hide white they do love pigs ears

Thanks for the ideas, we were giving brook the small biscuits morrisons on make those ones that are different colours and shapes, but had also gave her a dentastix seemed to enjoy it but now we have bad poos, we are feeding her arkwrights chicken kibble with a quarter of a tin of butchers with water heard that arkwrights is good for greys, we have only had her for 3 weeks and we started her on autarky chicken kibble because we couldn't get arkwrights quick enough, so we have been giving her half and half for a week now, just today we have used all arkwright, her flatulence has subsided quite a bit when mixing it, but her poo is soft in the morning where it had been formed and later in the day it is quite watery, she had the dentastix 24hr ago so it might be that, has anybody been using arkwrights and butchers together? any advice would be fantastic

I have found the Whimzees dental chews to be very good, both in terms of the quality of the ingredients and being a good challenge for them too. They are more expensive than others but well worth it, seen them in Pets at Home and lots of sellers online too.

Our three have been on Arkwrights for a long time now with no problems. They get half a tin of meat between them twice a day, mixed in to kibble, using different makes to give them a bit of variety. Have used Butchers with no variation in output! For treats they get Pedigree gravy bones and HiLife Pets Pantry chicken chunks which is actually a complete dog food. I don't use dental chews at all as they just demolish them, especially Buddy, with barely any chewing! And they do make Ellie and Paddy a bit loose, Buddy being a lurcher seems to have a less delicate gut!

Thanks for all your replies, the poop situation has improved with Brook fully on Arkwrights now with a half of butchers she is doing normal poop what a relief. Treats we got Whimzees dental sticks from pets at home thanks to Dylan haven't tried them yet, but the kong bone with some peanut butter is a huge hit she loves it.

A word of warning about some peanut butters.

Thanks George for the information, it was peanut butter designed for dogs from pets at home, it should be ok but I will check the label