Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tommy's flexor tenotomy op for corns

Hi everyone, our Tommy has suffered from a nasty and painful corn on his front left paw for several months. We have tried all the recommended remedies: epsom salts, gorilla tape, burts bees and hulling the corns once they came away from the pad but the corns kept on coming back.

Dr Mike Guilliard has pioneered the flexor tenotomy op in greys and it's proving very successful.

I found a vet in Edinburgh (ICR Vets, Loanhead) through the Flexor Tenotomy Facebook site who agreed to perform the operation. Tommy had the op on Monday 2nd December and is doing great, he seems so much happier.

If you would like to see Tommy walking before and after his op please open the following Google Drive folder:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DuAIBcHc3VTVKwm5Is8N5hOJNSxjZdwQ

thanks,
Alison

Re: Tommy's flexor tenotomy op for corns

Poor boy Tommy. I'm so please you are feeling a bit better now, and hope you will soon be fully recovered. :face_with_thermometer:

Hi Alison
I was so pleased to hear that Tommy has had his op and things are looking good. My 10 year old boy, Mac, had the same procedure at the same vet surgery earlier this year. The result was a resounding success. The corn itself disappeared after a month or two. Mac had suffered from a large corn for almost 5 years and was gradually losing his desire to go on walks, the corn needed hulling almost weekly. He was miserable, wincing, hobbling with each step and we were desperately sad for him. This relatively simple and fairly inexpensive procedure gives hope to "corn dogs" everywhere! Happy walkies, Tommy!

Linda Hunt
Hi Alison
I was so pleased to hear that Tommy has had his op and things are looking good. My 10 year old boy, Mac, had the same procedure at the same vet surgery earlier this year. The result was a resounding success. The corn itself disappeared after a month or two. Mac had suffered from a large corn for almost 5 years and was gradually losing his desire to go on walks, the corn needed hulling almost weekly. He was miserable, wincing, hobbling with each step and we were desperately sad for him. This relatively simple and fairly inexpensive procedure gives hope to "corn dogs" everywhere! Happy walkies, Tommy!
Regarding the reference to "fairly inexpensive" for one paw with pre op consultation,op,meds it was £385. We'll just have to wait and see how much of that we get back from our insurance company. Totally worth it to see Tommy walk happily again. X

Think mine was a little under £300, but no insurance contribution sadly as was deemed pre-existing condition. Cost does seem to vary a lot though. However, like you, I was just relieved to see an end to my boy's discomfort. Taking into account the previous costly procedures Mac had had over the past 5 years, including a corn "removal" under GA and countless hullings (sometimes under sedation) by the vet, only for the corn to return with a
vengeance, at his age if it gives him even a year or two of relief, it will have been worth it. In the end his walking was getting really bad and his quality of life was poor. These corns really are the devil to resolve.