Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Greyhound Licking & Wet beds. HHHHEEEEEELLLLLLPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!

Hi, has anyone experienced any of what is happening with our beautiful Brook, Recently Brook has been licking herself in the early hours of the morning, which makes her bed wet, it is not urine thankfully but when i get her up it is the whole outside area of her thigh that is wet, not her inner thighs or bottom end.

We did think allergy but it is mostly at night, we also thought is she cold so we raised her bed to 2 feet, but this morning just the same again at 3am, tonight will try her with her fleece sleeping jacket but she thinks she is going out when we put a jacket on lol.

We have had her for 16 mths now & she obviously has licked herself in that time, but only recently to this extreme, her thighs are very wet but only on the outer area & it goes through the duvet onto the mattress.

Has anybody had any experience with this or any help would be greatly welcomed as my hair dryer is on overdrive lol.

Janet & Simon

Re: Greyhound Licking & Wet beds. HHHHEEEEEELLLLLLPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Janet and Simon,

Our grey does a lot of licking too but I don't know what causes it, maybe boredom as it's only happening during the night with Brook. I'll ask Jimmy and Celia to have a look at your post and see if they can help.

Best wishes
John.

It's a good question. Boredom is certainly a possibility. I think most greyhounds go through periods of excessive licking - mine do, to varying degrees, especially when they are moulting - but, if it continues, it could be a sign of arthritis, as they will lick the painful area. My Foxy did this when she developed arthritis in her hind leg. I'm sure Celia and Jimmy may have a more experienced opinion.

Thanks for the replies, we have had 3 good nights made Brook a pair of shorts to cover her thighs at night seems to work so will be getting her a pair of pyjamas. Fingers crossed, it was more her bed getting wet that concerned us didn't want her lying in it because it did go right through the duvet into the mattress, we had to throw out that one but she has a single bed mattress now so she is lying like the lady of the manor on it 😀.

Hi again Janet and Simon,

I've asked Jimmy and Celia to contact you, I'm sure they will soon. I'm just a bit concerned about the shorts and pyjamas though, it will stop her licking the area if she can't get to it but if there is a reason why she is licking it, to relieve some kind of pain or itching, she will be prevented from getting that relief. Plus I wonder if it's uncomfortable for a dog to wear any kind of clothing as it's not a natural thing. Please don't take too much notice of what I've said, it's just my opinion and I'm not an expert, just concerned for Brook.

Best wishes
John.

Hi John thanks for the reply, Celia & Jimmy have contacted us, we think we have figured it out, she was only doing it in the early hours of the morning, the thing that concerned us most was if I didn't waken then she would be lying on it, her memory foam mattress had to be thrown out & we didn't want her single bed mattress going the same way, hence the shorts which are loose fitting & usually lying on the bed in the morning.

We had 3 good nights but Sunday night/ Monday Morning her shorts, duvet soaking at 3am luckily her mattress was ok because I got a waterproof mattress protector but I did find it had gotten cold through the night, so last night we kept the heating on & no issues, shorts lying on the bed & my big brook lying very happy in the morning.

So we think it is when the temperature drops that she licks, that is why we got pyjamas but they are greyhound pyjamas with great reviews form etsy, will post a pic of my big girl when we get them until then heating stays on 😀.