Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Polly in her new home...

Our pack is now back to two as we adopted POLLY (now renamed Luna) on Friday. A very different grey to any of our previous six (all GRF hounds) as she is extremely shy and nervous and quite scared of the big bad world outside. Indeed our previous six we all had to stop from doing things when we first got them (Minnie = stop destroying cushions | Suzy = stop destroying remote controls | Charlie = stop jumping on the kitchen table when we leave the house...you know, standard stuff!! ๐Ÿคจ) but with Luna we have to try and get her TO DO things.

She has found a 'safe zone' to call her own (one of the beds sits in a natural alcove sort of area in the hallway so she feels protected by walls either side and behind) although unfortunately for Charlie (our male grey) that was his favourite bed! He's not fussed though, he's a chilled out dude, he's easy...

We are just taking things nice and slow with Luna at present, giving her plenty space and not forcing her to do anything and she is slowly but surely responding and pushing her own boundaries...it will take time but she'll get there when she is ready and we'll help her gradually build confidence each and every day/week/month...Charlie would help her as well but...well...that's way too much effort for the big man!! In his defense him just cracking on with his daily life of doing very little is actually helping Luna as he isn't getting in her way or intruding into her space but she can see another grey enjoying retirement, playing with toys, sniffing about outside, getting ear rubs...etc...and eventually she'll want to be part of that as well...

If anyone had any hints and tips for helping a (very) shy and nervous grey settle into a new home then we are all ears ๐Ÿ˜Š I'll also keep updates and notes of her progress and 'do's and don'ts', it could help other owners of similar greys in the future.

We'll give her all the time she needs and I know there is a happy and inquisitive grey waiting inside that nervous shell of hers...

Re: Polly in her new home...

Luna update...we have her first roach! ๐Ÿ˜Š Even happy for us to rub her belly whilst she was roaching. She also got up out of her bed this morning for a voluntary early morning walk! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ I was hooking up Charlie at the front door and she did a couple of stretches, hopped off her bed (still her 'safe place') and trotted over to join us (actually took her 3 attempts to decide she did want to do it...but she got there eventually!). No secret to it, we are simply giving her time and space to get comfortable whilst also doing some small bits of introducing her to new things. On the walking front we are only taking her small distances right now, getting her used to certain areas but very slowly stretching the distance each day. She's getting there, slowly but surely...๐Ÿ˜€

Not sure how to add pics here on forum but there are some on the GRF Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/groups/47765486624/permalink/10157916458416625)

Hi Ben and Lindsey,
Sorry I missed you when you came.
I am a bit better now and starting on the computer again.
We always knew as soon as Luna was signed over to you she was safe for life.
Thank you for taking her. She will reward your great effort.
Please give her great big cuddles from us.
Our very best wishes.
Jimmy and Celia.

Hi Jimmy and Celia

Fantastic to hear you are starting to improve Jimmy, great news ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š

Luna (Polly) is coming out of her shell each and every day, starting to explore the house more and she has also now discovered the sofa!! She was up having a cuddle with Lyndsey last night for the first time!

She's still a bit wary of the outside world and other people but that will come, there is no rush for her, we won't push her. Our old boy Jack (Ripper - RPR...I'm sure you remember him ๐Ÿ˜Š) was never much of a fan of the great outdoors and he lived to a ripe old age so if Luna only wants little walks then that's what she can have (Charlie won't mind, he finds walking a bit of a bore anyway?!?).

She returns your hugs with a big face lick! (she's started doing that when she greets us now, the first face licking grey we actually had!!).

Best wishes from us and hopefully your own health continues to improve every day

Ben, Lyndsey, Charlie and Luna

Hi all

Just a wee update on the little (well not really little!!) Luna (formerly Polly).

Delighted to say she is doing wonderfully ๐Ÿ˜Š she has fitted in perfectly and it's like she's always been here.

She still isn't a huge fan of walks so she only goes on a morning walk and in the evening time she burns off her energy by patrolling the back garden, a job she takes very seriously!! It is now definitely HER garden and she must know everything that is going on in there at any given time ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜†

She is fully out of her shell with Lyndsey, Me and Charlie and wherever we go she will follow ('what you doing?' 'can I pick this up?' can I play with that?' 'can I have some of your food?'...). She loves playing with Charlie's toys...which have now become HER toys and she LOVES her food. Basically she loves life (as long as she only has to go on one walk a day!!).

As for Charlie and his new sister...well in his mind I think he just sees it as a new black female dog coming in to boss him about!! ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ He spent the first part of his life being bossed around by Minnie and Louise and now he's spending the second part of his life being bossed around by Luna! He doesn't care though, as long as he gets the sofa and two meals a day then he's happy ๐Ÿคท‍♀️

With time and patience and letting her do things at her own pace Luna is now one very happy and retired greyhound.

Oh and the metal plate in her leg has (so far) given her absolutely no bother at all. Indeed we don't even give her any pain medication as there have been no signs of it bothering her in the slightest. Indeed I often have to stop her whizzing about the back garden most days (just as a precaution for her leg). We will keep an eye on the leg but to our eyes (and to our vets eyes) all looks A-OK on that score and to be honest most days we forget she even has a metal pinned leg ๐Ÿ‘

Another successful rehome for team GRF ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Ben, Lyndsey, Charlie and Luna (formerly Polly)

Thanks for an entertaining update on Luna. Wow, she has landed lucky and it is wonderful that her leg is good. Poor old Charlie - seems like the big greyhound boys are put on this planet to be forever bossed by the girls!