Return to Website

Doc's Personal Message Forum

Doc's Personal Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Philip Derry (b. 1774? d. 1826 in Loudoun Co., VA)

From a Derry family history published in November 1926 in Illinois, we have this description of Philip Derry, son of Baltzer Derry and Barbara Heinkeley Derry:

"Philip Derry was born about the year 1774. The place of his birth is unknown. He died sometime in the year 1826. He was buried in Loudoun County, Virginia on what is know as Pine Hill in a private cemetery enclosed by a stone wall. In August 1926 the stone wall was still intact, also a monument which marks his grave."

We know his wife was Margaret Barbara Everhardt (b. 1776; d. 1862) and that they had several children. Their firstborn was Christian (or Chrystan) Derry from whom I descend. He arrived on Dec. 25 or 26, 1795 and died May 27, 1858. "....Christian Derry was married to Susannah Carns, who was also born in the same area on June 6, 1797. Shed died Jan. 22, 1884. They are both buried in the old Ebenezer Cemetery in the community where they spent their entire lives. To this union were born six boys and two girls. Two of the boys died in early childhood; the other six children grew to manhood and womanhood."

We would like to learn more about the six children who grew up in Christian and Susannah's household in Loudoun County, VA.

We know that two of Christian's sons -- James Madison Derry and William D. Derry -- came west to Illinois prior to the War Between the States. Other Derry family members from Loudoun County, Virginia also came west to Illinois, but not all at the same time. Also, several additional families whose daughters married Derry men came west to Illinois from Virginia, the Absalom Kalb family being one of them (his daughter, Cordelia Amanda Kalb was James Madison Derry's first wife).

The James Madison and William D. Derry lines have carried on, though male heirs with the Derry surname are now few. I am pulling together details on the descendants of these two brothers, but keep running into Derry descendants in Illinois who were not from their lines. As you can imagine, finding Doc Derry's information and cheerful attitude has been like a breath of fresh air. And I can't say enough about how valuable Joan Brown Derry's help has been.