Danish Naval History Web Forum

Danish Naval History Web Forum
This Forum is Locked
View Entire Thread
Re: HMS Belette - Flere oplysninger søges

Ja det var meget sjovt.

Den kære Belette er da kommet vidt omkring.

Det undre mig bare meget at forliset ved Læsø ikke er beskrevet nogen steder i dansk historie. Det var jo Læsø fiskere der reddede de 4 overlevende.

Her er hvad jeg har læst mig til på Wikipedia.

Kilde: Wikepedia

Belette was commissioned in April 1806 under Commander Richard Piercy for the North Sea.

Commander John Phillimore took command in September and sailed Belette in the English Channel and the Downs, taking part in Commodore Edward Owen's attack on Bolougne.

The Belette was occupied in early 1807 with conveying supplies to the besieged town of Kolberg, after which she was attached to Admiral James Gambier's fleet which returned to the Baltic to attack Copenhagen again in 1807.
Phillimore distinguished himself during the battle, particularly in an engagement at the end of August, when Belette became becalmed off the Danish coast. Sixteen Danish gunboats attacked Belette, which sank three of them before boats from other British ships arrived and towed her clear.
Gambier rewarded Phillimore for his courage by giving him the honour of carrying Gambier's despatches to the Admiralty. As a result, Phillimore received a promotion to post-captain on 13 October; however he remained with Belette.

In June 1807 Belette was off Suffolk when she tried to land a M. Bedezee, a Prussian envoy carrying some important despatches. The boat overturned a few hundred meters off shore and Bedezee drowned, as did a midshipman and three crewmen. A master's mate and a crewman were saved, but the despatches were lost.

Phillimore and Belette returned to the Baltic in late 1807.
On 19 November Belette, with the gun-vessels Tigress and Safeguard in company, recaptured the ship Lively.

Belette brought the British ambassador, Lord Hutchinson back to Britain in February 1808.

While sailing to Gothenburg he encountered a Danish Navy two-decker, but was able to escape by sailing into shallower waters.

In February 1808 command passed to George Sanders who sailed her on the North Sea station and then took her to the Leeward Islands.

On 2 July, some 70 miles south-east of Barbados, Belette captured the privateer Jalouse.She was armed with four 12-pounder guns and had a crew of 75 men. On this cruise Jalouse had already taken the Mary and the Lark from Halifax and the General Green out of Surinam.

In August Belette captured the French privateer Joséphine, which the Royal Navy took into service as Morne Fortunee. In British service she was armed with eight 18-pounder carronades and two 6-pounder guns, and had a crew of 55 men.

On 23 August 1808 Belette captured the French privateer schooner Confiance, of seven guns (though pierced for 16) and 70 men. She was three days out from Cayenne.

On 5 December 1808 Belette captured the French letter of marque brig Revanche, of six 12-pounder guns and 44 men. Revanche was taking provisions from Bordeaux to Guadeloupe when she encountered Belette.

In February 1809, Belette participated in the combined naval and military assault and capture of the French-held island of Martinique. This qualified those of her crew still alive in 1847 for the Naval General Service Medal with clasp "MARTINIQUE".

In August 1809 Belette captured the French privateer Joséphine, which the Royal Navy took into service as Morne Fortunee. In British service she was armed with eight 18-pounder carronades and two 6-pounder guns, and had a crew of 55 men.

In 1810 Belette was under David Sloane. He sailed her in the Leeward Islands and then home waters in 1811.

In 1812 he sailed her to the Baltic.

On 24 November 1812 Belette was leading Russian ships through the south-west passage of Anholt in the Kattegat when she went aground on a sunken rock called "John" off Læsø. Only five of her entire crew of 120 or so men and boys escaped drowning.

Kilde: Gert Normann

24 November 1812 BELETTE Brig Sloop 18 guns
384 tons Dover 1806
Cdr. David Sloan
Bound for Gothenburg, as she headed into the Kattegat the weather became increasingly thick and hazy, and by eight o' clock in the evening of 23 November the fog was so thick that she was forced to anchor, no land being in sight.
The following day the fog showed signs of lifting, and just before midday she weighed and proceeded under reefed topsails, sounding constantly. At ten
o'clock that night the water started shoaling from fifteen down to twelve fathoms, and thirty minutes later, without warning, she struck the Fannot rock off the island of Læsø. The rocks ripped open the bottom, and she filled with water rapidly, the crew being forced to take to the rigging. By midnight the ship had broken in two and the survivors in the rigging faced a long night in freezing temperatures. Dozens of men died from exposure or lost their grip
and fell into the sea, and by daylight it was a small band of men who saw land nearby. A boat was discovered to have floated off the booms, and Commander Sloan led an attempt to gain the boat,
but as the men tried to pull themselves on board in the heavy swell it capsized, drowning them all.Some men now trusted themselves to pieccs of wreckage, and allowed the tide to take them to the shore, but only two survived the ordeal.
Local fishermen arrived during the morning and found another four men still alive in the rigging.
One hundred and sixteen men died.

Return to the Web Site (US version) - Retur til Fl├ądens Historie (Dansk udgave)

Copyright 2006-2007 - All rights reserved/Alle rettigheder forbeholdes.

The Design was last updated: 2006-10-16 - Designet er sidst opdateret: 16. oktober 2006