Danish Naval History Web Forum

Forum: Danish Naval History Web Forum
This forum is locked and posting is not allowed
Author
Comment
Orlogsskib Prinsesse Lovisa (1731)

Hello there,

and sorry that I write in English, but I hope the members of this board can help me nonetheless. For a german company I am currently collecting some information on the mentioned ship during its voyage from Kopenhagen to Trankebar, India, which lasted from November 1738 to May 1739. I am not allowed to reveal too much, but the research is done for a book project in which the "Prinsesse Lovisa" has a short appearance.

If anyone can assist, I would be interested mainly in three thinks: What were the names of the ship's captain and, if this is still known, the ship's priest during this voyage? Did it make a stop during its journey or did it make it to Trankebar in one pass (as the duration of the journey was rather short)? Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards and thanks in advance,
Christian

Email  
Re: Orlogsskib Prinsesse Lovisa (1731)

Christen K -

Sorry no one has posted an answer to your inquiry regarding the PRINDSESSE LOVISE, which I believe is the correct spelling of the Danish warship that is the subject of your inquiry.

The captain of the PRINDSESSE LOVISE should be readily known.

In English usage, a clergyman who is attached to a branch of the military (such as a naval ship) is known as a "chaplain" rather than as a "priest." However, I do not know what the practice was in the Danish navy, regarding this official military post.

A chaplain may have been necessary for this voyage by the PRINDSESSE LOVISE, because some Danish ship crews experienced a high mortality rate during long voyages during this period.

You refer to the PRINDSESSE LOVISE's November, 1738- May, 1739 voyage as being "rather short," which may be a misconception or mis-characterization of the duration of this voyage, particularly in the time frame of 1738-1739, a general time frame during which the Danish navy almost never ventured far from the general area of Danish home waters - certainly not in open ocean, particularly as far as Trankebar.

I do not know what you mean when you say "stopping during the voyage." For example, warships with large crews often have to interrupt a voyage to restock its water supply, which could be accomplished in, for example, a river, rather than in a port city. I don't know what the Danish navy's practice was in this regard, but perhaps some insight may be obtained from the experience of the ships of the Danish Asiatic Company, which were active in this time frame. This type of incidental information is not ordinarily commented upon in published histories, but would have to be obtained from an examination of a ship's log.

Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Counters & Site Stats   Email Forms   Free Web Tools   Cheap Domains