Return to Website

The dB's Messageboard

The dB's Online Message Board is somewhat unmediated. Be nice. Your messages are welcome, but there are no promises that they will reach or be replied to by members of the band. Your suggestions for features are also welcome and will be considered for future inclusion. We request that you not post personal information, including email addresses, about anyone besides yourself without that person's permission. Don't forget to be funny.

The dB's Messageboard
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: PH in Praha

Cos people from Europe respect good music more than Americans

(and that's why Jimi Hendrix was signed in the UK and not over the pond in U.S.A.)

Re: Re: Re: Re: PH in Praha/Connells question

Wow,I never knew '74-'75 was that old of a song.I've seen that video clip here on Czech tv quite a few times over the last year or so and thought it was something new.Well that explains my surprise and curiousity.I wonder if, had this song come out today would it still have been the big hit it was 9 years ago with today's music scene.
A very memorable song indeed.Now why didn't I check out the Connells back then?Any recommendations to start out with?
Adrian in rainy Frydek-Mistek

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: PH in Praha/Connells question

If you want to start listening to (or collecting) the Connells, I recommend these two albums: "Ring" (which has the single '74-'75) and "One Simple Word".

Re: Re: PH in Praha

I spent the last half of '95 in Russia and Eastern Europe and was amazed at how often I heard that song. I saw the video on MTV (Europe?) and the images of Broughton high school were a great reminder of home after months of travel.

Re: PH in Praha/ Connells

Thanks Jeff for the titles-my Trouser Press Record Guide(4th edition 1991) gave One Simple Word a really good review,so I'll start with that one when I'm in the States next Spring.
Adrian

other NC bands to remember...

in your travels would be Dillon Fence/Hobex, the almighty Don Dixon, the Woods, Snatches of Pink and the assorted works of Parthenon Huxley. Don't forget Dixon had a smash hit with Praying Mantis in the Netherlands!

Re: PH in Praha

I'll vote for Boylan Heights being the best Connells album, produced by Mitch Easter of the dB's extended family.

And though it may have seemed that they were an NC-area secret at the time, we were certainly listening in Pittsburgh, and I recall them being fairly widespread college-radio favorites in the late 80s/early 90s. (They were on TVT after all.)

Despite having seen both bands outside of NC, I still picture both the Connells and Dillon Fence/Hobex (Love that Greg H.!) playing frat houses in Chapel Hill. Ah, youth & ignorance, how I miss them!

That first Connels album with Darker Days was great. I still think Darker Days is the best song they ever did. There later albums, while they have some good songs, never quite did it for me. Since someone mentioned Mitch Easter, that album he did for Love Tractor, Themes from Venus, is remarkable. Cruelly underrated.

Re: Re: Re: PH in Praha

Agree on Love Tractor and Themes from Venus.

Also like Darker Days but hard for me to say it is better than Boylan Heights, One Simple Word or Fun & Games.

Funny P.S. to our Connells discussion: Received a postcard from my old college roommate, who is vacationing in Europe. We had seen the Connells play in Pittsburgh circa "Fun & Games."

He writes:
"Would you believe I heard a Connells song over the loudspeaker in a German grocery store?"

Just heard 74/75 again the other day on radio as well.Amazing.Hopefully,the composer's been receiving his/their royalty checks on a regular basis.The life!

Biography | Discography | Scrapbook | Multimedia
Message Board | Links | Store | Home

© 2001 The dB's
ThedBs@ThedBsOnline.net
Site Design by Exploded View