Return to Website

The dB's Messageboard

The dB's Online Message Board is somewhat unmediated. Be nice. Your messages are welcome, but there are no promises that they will reach or be replied to by members of the band. Your suggestions for features are also welcome and will be considered for future inclusion. We request that you not post personal information, including email addresses, about anyone besides yourself without that person's permission. Don't forget to be funny.

The dB's Messageboard
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Kimberley Rew

I've got a sort of "dB's what if" here, if Peter or any other member of the band at the time would be gracious enough to answer it.

Was Kimberley Rew seriously entertained as a replacement for Chris or even offered the job? What's the story? I have The Bible Of Bop which features the band plus Mitch Easter backing Kim but I'm sure I read somewhere that he nearly became a full-time member. My "what if" is to idly speculate on how the dB's might have developed with Kim on board. A more English sound rather than the American sounding Like This and Sound Of Music? Would Kim have assumed Chris' composing duties?

Pointless but fun to speculate.

Phil

Re: Kimberley Rew

Good question, in every sense of that phrase. When Chris left the band, Gene expressed interest in moving from bass to lead guitar. So once we'd recorded "Like This" in that configuration (with Gene recording basic tracks on bass and then overdubbing lead), it became obvious that a bassist was what we should seek out. It would certainly have been cool to get Kimberley in the band, but the commute to New York from Cambridge would've been awful! Had he been in the band, I'm sure we would've been doing "Hey War Pigs" and "Walking in the Dew". Historical note: after we'd recorded with KR, on a return trip to England, we rehearsed a bunch of Kimberley's new songs so that we might record a new album with him. Why that never came about, I can't recall. I'm exceedingly proud of the work we did with him, and I'm proud to call him our friend.

Re: Re: Kimberley Rew

Thanks for the reply, Peter. You might like to know that The Bible Of Bop is scheduled for a CD re-issue next year.

I met Kimberley only the once at a Robyn Hitchcock concert in London. He was kind enough to stop and chat while I effused about his solo album(s). A really lovely bloke.

Phil

Re: Re: Re: Kimberley Rew

Kimberley had/has a new album slated for release this week as well, "Essex Hideaway." Unsure of the release status on that now as that one's impending release was why the Bible Of Bop's release was pushed back til next year.

Oh well. But. If you're aware of his last two solo elpees worth-o-toons, 2000's "Tunnel Into Summer" on Gadfly and 2002's "Great Central Revisited" on Bongo Beat you know what's in store. It's surely going to poppily spectacular.

I'm hopeful that Ralph over at Kim's now label, Bongo Beat, up in Canada ...hopeful Ralph can come thru and lash to that release The Waves' absolutely awesome "Shock Horror" mini album from around the time of his singles onslaught.

Man, one can only imagine just how spectacular it would had been if you guys indeed hooked up w/Kimberley back then. BTW, Kim's signifigant other released a great album last year that Mssr Rew is all over.

Lee Cave Berry's "Spring Forward" is real good and can be procured here --

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/caveberry

-- she's the inspiration behind Kim's "Seven Stars" on "Great central Revisited." The Mistress Of The Bison Bass Guitar. Really solid album.

Kim is one rare humantype, stellar and gifted individual, a genuinely nice carbon based life form, I love that guy. As Mssr Slawter can vouche, when solicited to contribute props for the liner notes to the Mitch/Let's Active "Every Word" Kimberley was spot on in writing up a fitting salute.

Mark

Re: Re: Re: Re: Kimberley Rew

All of the above is true and more!

And Mark, I was in touch with Ralph at Bongo Beat yesterday and he said: "[Essex Hideaway] has been bumped to November. Going to the CD plant this week. Should have by end of month. A fair chunk of [the Shock Horror!] songs will go on Bible of Bop. Anything left over + rarities from the 83-84 era will go into a mail order only CD for later in 2005."

Apologies for the non-dB's content.

Phil

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Kimberley Rew

Thanks Phil!

m

Biography | Discography | Scrapbook | Multimedia
Message Board | Links | Store | Home

© 2001 The dB's
ThedBs@ThedBsOnline.net
Site Design by Exploded View