Return to Website

The dB's Messageboard

The dB's Online Message Board is somewhat unmediated. Be nice. Your messages are welcome, but there are no promises that they will reach or be replied to by members of the band. Your suggestions for features are also welcome and will be considered for future inclusion. We request that you not post personal information, including email addresses, about anyone besides yourself without that person's permission. Don't forget to be funny.

The dB's Messageboard
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Fetchin Bones, Anyone?

FWIW, here's a little Jamie Hoover/Rundgren story - I was listening to my Internet radio station one night and heard Todd's "Pretending to Care" segue into the Spongetone's "Anna". I sent a little message to Jamie telling him how great that sounded, and wouldn't you know it, he had just returned home from seeing Todd (in Charlotte, I'm guessing).

Re: Re: Fetchin Bones, Anyone?

The "For The Love of Todd" cd was put together by a guy named Mitch Cooper. He was an original member of Fetchin' Bones (drummer I believe). In the late 80's he ran afoul of Fetchin' Bones when he put out an unauthorized bootleg of early FBones demos (right when they were signing to Capitol). I think Hope threatened legal action (but nothing came of it). The Todd tribute cd is a real mixed-bag. Great stuff from Peter (as "The Guild"), Mitch, Don Dixon, The Woods, Parthenon Huxley, Jamie Hoover, and Bill Lloyd. The rest is very forgettable (and the disc cover is a nightmare). Mitch Cooper also led a band in Charlotte called The Inn (retro-60's psych-stuff) in the late 80's.

...yes, that was his name.

Yes, there was some idle talk about the proceeds of FTLOT going to charity, but so far as I can tell, that was just talk. And Mr. Cooper also released a follow-up of more Todd covers. Anyone else know anything about the proceeds' destination? I certainly don't want to appear bitter, but I felt really hoodwinked with that compilation.

Re: Re: Re: Fetchin Bones, Anyone?

Wow! I had no idea of such goings-on when I placed my initial question about Fetchin Bones. Mr. Cooper sounds questionable at best. However, I don't want anyone to get the impression that Fetchin Bones was a shady band by any means. I am confident that Hope Nicholls and the other Bones are fine, upstanding individuals. I have met Hope on numerous occasions, and she is very down-to-earth and charming. One could surmise that Mr. Cooper was dropped from the band because he didn't meet the other band members' moral standards--just a supposition. I think the legacy of Fetchin Bones is well documented by the fact they were critical faves, they were hand-picked by Michael Stipe to open for R.E.M. many moons ago, and their first album, the Don Dixon-produced "Cabin Flounder," garnered much well-deserved attention. A year or so ago a reporter for a local newspaper asked Frank Heath, the owner of Cat's Cradle in Chapel Hill, what act he enjoyed most at the Cradle over the years, and he responded with Fetchin Bones. Sorry, Peter, to bring up a sore topic, but I simply wondered if the dB's and the Bones ever hooked up.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Fetchin Bones, Anyone?

No no no, I had no idea that Mitch was even in Fetchin Bones. Sorry to vent like that, but no good deed goes unpunished. I too enjoyed Fetchin Bones a great deal and got to visit Hope's fun store in Charlotte when I was down at Reflection recording with Murray Attaway several years ago.

Please don't think it's a sore topic. I'm not even sure how I digressed that far from the thread... mea culpa.

a good word

Can't speak to Mr Cooper's morals, but did put out at least one side of a rather good solo 45, Time is to Keep Everything form Happening at Once.

Re: a good word

Thank you. I'm happy to hear that, and I certainly didn't mean to become the vitriolic rager that I sounded like in those last posts.

Biography | Discography | Scrapbook | Multimedia
Message Board | Links | Store | Home

© 2001 The dB's
ThedBs@ThedBsOnline.net
Site Design by Exploded View