Return to Website

The dB's Messageboard

The dB's Online Message Board is somewhat unmediated. Be nice. Your messages are welcome, but there are no promises that they will reach or be replied to by members of the band. Your suggestions for features are also welcome and will be considered for future inclusion. We request that you not post personal information, including email addresses, about anyone besides yourself without that person's permission. Don't forget to be funny.

The dB's Messageboard
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Question for Peter

The cover is here in MP3 format if you want to listen. It's a nicely laid-back acoustic/slide guitar version - and I'm guessing that the irony of an all-acoustic cover of "Amplifier" is intentional, somehow.

Incidentally, do you mind if I ask why "Amplifier" appears on both Repercussion and Like This (albeit in different versions)? Were you unhappy with the first recording? I'll admit that my own preference is for the Like This version, but that's probably because I heard it first...

Re: Re: Re: Question for Peter

The reason "Amplifier" ended up on both Repercussion and Like This is pretty much that our manager at the time contacted his friend Walter Williams, who offered to do a video for the song. Walter Williams is the creator of Mr. Bill from Saturday Night Live. The video, of course, didn't meet the lofty standards of MTV because it had me throughout wearing a noose around my neck. Despite the fact that MTV was showing videos featuring people getting blown away at close range by handguns (Golden Earring), they felt the need to protect anyone who might want to commit suicide upon hearing the dB's. So it only got shown on local video channels, like one in NYC where I also had to film public service disclaimers to urge the children of America to not take our video seriously as a directive for the depressed... We remixed "Amplifier" from the Repercussion version so that it would fit into Like This more sonically akin to the other tracks. Both songs come from the same multi-track recordings, but we added a bunch of stuff to the Like This version. I think both versions are just fine, although I probably prefer the Repercussion mix because it doesn't feature the prominent and rather dated sounding handclaps.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Question for Peter

I saw the video once on MTV's "Cutting Edge" show. The "Cutting Edge" seemed to have a few spotlights on the dB's from time to time. I'm not sure if host Peter Zaremba had any influence on this (he always seemed to dig you guys based on his enthusiastic introductions). One of my favs is still the spotlight on you guys at Mardi Gras (as well as the Let's Active piece-with Stamey on bass).

Golden Earring...?

Hey Peter,

Trying to come up with the name of that Golden Earring-song... Gotta love those (Dutch) guys... Saw them perform twice this year... Of course, pretty old now, but still so alive on stage... "Radar Love" is still one of the best songs ever....! :)

Later,
AJ

Re: Golden Earring...?

My guess is the song in question is "Twilight Zone," with its unforgettable line, "You will come and go when the bullet hits the bone." I recall this video being fairly graphic when it originally aired on MTV. Of course, it's only fair that Peter himself clarify the song he mentions, not me.

Re: Re: Golden Earring...?

Yeah, that was it...! Gotta love that song... Still amazed about how many cool songs these guys made over the years...

Thanks Steve,
AJ

Re: Re: Re: Golden Earring...?

That is indeed the song in question. Don't get me wrong, I loved "Radar Love" as much as the next guy. I just found faulty logic in MTV's decision in regard to keeping the video for "Amplifier" off the air. I think it did get run on "The Cutting Edge" once. Ah well... history just ain't what it was...

Biography | Discography | Scrapbook | Multimedia
Message Board | Links | Store | Home

© 2001 The dB's
ThedBs@ThedBsOnline.net
Site Design by Exploded View