Return to Website

The dB's Messageboard

The dB's Online Message Board is somewhat unmediated. Be nice. Your messages are welcome, but there are no promises that they will reach or be replied to by members of the band. Your suggestions for features are also welcome and will be considered for future inclusion. We request that you not post personal information, including email addresses, about anyone besides yourself without that person's permission. Don't forget to be funny.

The dB's Messageboard
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
why compare peter to mother maybelle?...............

there was a cool story about the carters on a gig back durring the great deppression i read about. there was only 2 people in the audiance so being the great entertainers they were the show went on. mother maybelle introduced A.P. and Sara then herself exclaiming "and i am Maybelle i play guitar,mandolin, piano,banjo,audoharpand sing. i'm wanderin how come there is so many of me and so few of you". i thought that reminded me of the many talents of Mr. Holsapple. so many of him. you have that utopia plus thing goin . God bless you.

Re: why compare peter to mother maybelle?...............

thanks. I love two-person audience stories like that. You wonder which one of 'em passed the story around...

Re: Re: why compare peter to mother maybelle?...............

To me, it's all about fitting the band to the venue in terms of size as well as genre. The only time I got to see ya'll was at the King's Head Inn in Norfolk, VA. Smaller place, maybe 500 capacity (regularly filled to over flow for all of the great acts that played there) and the energy was fantastic. Every band I ever saw at that place was awesome. I saw Jason and the Scorchers there as well, another unbelivable show. Then I saw them at a bigger place called the Boathouse. The guys were great but the energy was non-existent. The place was only about 1/4 full. Saw them again at another smaller club and the energy was there again. Saw the same thing with Dash Rip Rock, who my wife and I actually followed for 4 or 5 shows in a row.

I tell ya, I'd much rather play a small place with incredible energy than a huge, dead place any day, regardless of the money.

Re: Re: Re: why compare peter to mother maybelle?...............

You're absolutely correct about matching artist with venue. That's certainly why Maxwell's in Hoboken, NJ, was such a pivotal kind of place for so many bands over the years. The audience was always close enough to see and feel the music. Same with Carrollton Station in New Orleans. In a lot of cases, the bands who could not completely fill a larger venue could approximate a capacity crowd in a smaller one, and the energy between audience and musicians becomes more evident. (I'm beat though, right now--just played the outfield of a minor league baseball field in Columbia, SC. Viva Rockefellers and the Elbow Room!)

Re: Re: Re: Re: HEY HEY HERE NOW why compare peter to mother maybelle?...............

THE mother maybelle was a flexable entertainer for her field many talents such as Peter. God bless you all. The salt of the earth that express all thoughs feelings and help us make it through the day . God bless.

Biography | Discography | Scrapbook | Multimedia
Message Board | Links | Store | Home

© 2001 The dB's
ThedBs@ThedBsOnline.net
Site Design by Exploded View