Return to Website

The dB's Messageboard

The dB's Online Message Board is somewhat unmediated. Be nice. Your messages are welcome, but there are no promises that they will reach or be replied to by members of the band. Your suggestions for features are also welcome and will be considered for future inclusion. We request that you not post personal information, including email addresses, about anyone besides yourself without that person's permission. Don't forget to be funny.

The dB's Messageboard
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dave Falkner of the Hoodoo Gurus

Peter,
Have you ever heard Dave Falkner of the Hoodoo Gurus? His voice and sense of humor remind me of yours? If not, I think you would get a kick out of "Let's all turn on" off of their first album Stoneage Romeos. Just an observation and I'm looking forward to your new material (Any possible dates yet for release?).

Re: Dave Faulkner of the Hoodoo Gurus

Actually, Dave and Will and I have known each other since before there was a Hoodoo Gurus. Dave came over to NYC and palled around with us for a while in the early dB's days. We were very proud of the success of Dave, Brad and the guys. They performed at Mardi Gras in New Orleans years ago as a part of the filming of their video "Good Times", and we had a very large time with them. I recently received a call from Dave when he was passing through New Orleans, but I couldn't hook up with him since I was playing with the Hooties in Indianapolis. He is a true gentleman, and "I Want You Back" is a classic.

Re: Re: Dave Faulkner of the Hoodoo Gurus

I pine for those days when you guys were a *NYC* band.
Hoodoos have a new album out entitled Mach Shau, couple months old now. From all accounts I hear they have returned pretty much to form. Dave made it over to NYC this summer past for Little Silvio Van Zant's Garagefest thing, he cameoed w/The Fleshtones.

Man, I love(d) those Hoodoo Gurus guys and saw them any chance I got back when they'd tour here. Here's a pretty swingin' page a friend of mine from Boston cobbled together when they toured w/Let's Active twenty years ago this month actually ... Dave and Brad still donning the BIG hair. Kelly and her pal couldn't get into the show that night as they were under age.

These shenanigans went on up at Newbury Comics --

http://www.geocities.com/throwing_the_election/

Those pre Gurus days. Dave's Victims band prior to his Gurus doings. Their "Television Addict" single from '78 is one insanely magnificent punky blast. A definite harbinger of Gurus' things to come as Dave always seems to have had finger on the pulse of pop culture in general, brilliant songwriter, in my never humble opinion.

Mark

Re: Re: Re: Dave Faulkner of the Hoodoo Gurus

ooops, she didn't make that page in '84, it's just pictures from '84 ...i'm a dumbass.

Mark

Re: Dave Falkner of the Hoodoo Gurus

LOVE those Hoodoo Gurus! Saw them open for the Bangles in Philly circa 86/87. Peter fits so nicely into that family tree!

SPeaking of similar voices: Just picked up "Neurotica" by Redd Kross (very cool record) and was struck by how much their singer sounded like the "rockin'" Peter.

Re: Re: Dave Falkner of the Hoodoo Gurus

Neurotica! What a great album! Jeff McDonald is the proud owner of my old red Guild Thunderbird guitar (which can be seen on "Shake Rattle and Roll" by NRBQ on their new DVD of an ancient performance on the REM tour in 1989, played by a tousled and horn-rimmed Holsapple--I look like I won the lottery, and that's exactly how I felt playing with NRBQ). And my former bandmate Susan Cowsill is the featured vocalist on that album as well. Redd Kross was one of the first concerts Miranda went to, in a backpack no less.

Re: Dave Falkner of the Hoodoo Gurus

Hey Jack,caught the Gurus and Bangles together on the same tour(in Nashville,I believe). Nice one.Caught them on the Mars Needs Guitars tour and still have the too-small-to-fit-into cartoon T-shirt (Like Wow/Wipeout).One of the nicest rockers I've ever met(at Bogarts in Cincy),Dave Faulkner as well as ours truly,Peter Holsapple(do you remember Peter,the guy in Louisville,Ky who likened that meeting you would've been the same as meeting Paul McC in '66 while you were there with R.E.M.-that was me,cheesy but true.still got the photo-nice herring bone overcoat you were wearing that day).
So glad and honored to be chatting with fellow-enthusiasts!
Adrianczech

Biography | Discography | Scrapbook | Multimedia
Message Board | Links | Store | Home

© 2001 The dB's
ThedBs@ThedBsOnline.net
Site Design by Exploded View