Return to Website

The dB's Messageboard

The dB's Online Message Board is somewhat unmediated. Be nice. Your messages are welcome, but there are no promises that they will reach or be replied to by members of the band. Your suggestions for features are also welcome and will be considered for future inclusion. We request that you not post personal information, including email addresses, about anyone besides yourself without that person's permission. Don't forget to be funny.

The dB's Messageboard
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Gene Holder question

I saw the dBs and Let's Active play together at the Student Center at the University of Maryland, I think it was in early '87, but it's all a blur now. Great show, and I remember Gene playing bass with LA, too. That Mitch Easter sure can play the guitar!

That same year, I saw Marti Jones (with backing from Don Dixon and The Woods) play at U of MD, too, as part of a big show with the Beat Farmers, The Screaming Blue Messiahs, and a couple other acts that have since slipped my mind. Worth mentioning since Marti sang a couple of Peter's songs on her records back then...

Cheers, Tim

Re: Re: Gene Holder question

Marti Jones' live version of "Neverland" (especially when backed by the Woods) would rival any live version by the dB's (and that's saying alot!).

I saw Peter play with Marti Jones at the Bottom Line in '87. It was a "guest-stars" show where the authors of songs recorded by Marti Jones (Graham Parker, Bland Simpson, Richard Barone, John Hiatt, Janis Ian, etc) would play with Marti on the songs she recorded of theirs and also play a song or two of their own. Peter played with Marti, but for whatever reason wouldn't sing a song of his own. Never found out why. Peter?

Marti show at the Bottom Line

As I recall, I was not asked to perform a song of my own. It was such a fun night, and getting to meet Janis Ian was pretty thrilling;we did the same type show in LA as well for Marti. All hail Dixon/Jones!!

Re: Marti show at the Bottom Line

It was a great night. Don Dixon introduced me to Graham Parker. My first brush with a "super-star" (at least in my eyes).

I don't know for certain, but I'd bet that Gene's visited here once in a while. He's a very busy man these days so he's probably not around as much as yours truly...

On those first three dBs albums Mr. Holder wrote new chapters in the textbook of melodic bass playing. 20+ years later and I'm still in awe. Jeff was no slouch either, and fit pretty comfortably into the giant bass shoes Gene left when he switched to guitar. Of course both gentlemen were plenty flashy when they needed to be, but what I think often gets overlooked is how both bassists layed the firm foundation and support in the pocket that gave the genius of Will's drumming everything it needed to shine as brightly as it did.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

There is a recent question posted way down in an older thread that is a good one (I am paraphrasing it here because I was thought it might be overlooked).

All of the dB's have been present-and-accounted for on this board except for Gene Holder. We have not seen any postings from him on this messageboard (at least not that I can recall). Do any of the other members (and also Jake) know if he keeps up with this site (or has any interest in it?). I think that was the general "jist" of the original question.

I also agree that he is overlooked as a bass player. I saw him once on bass with the dB's (before he switched to guitar) and once filling-in with Let's Active and he was super!

So I understand Gene's a busy man these days,but can anyone elaborate just a tad more?I reckon he's a father;does he still play music or is he involved in the music business somehow? Or has he retired from it? Also,is he living in NC as Chris and Will are?
Thanks!Wish we had a recent pic of him(you too,Will).
p.s. Can't believe the dB'S were turned down by Jody Stephens for that Big Star tribute.What was up with that? Lord..

Re: Re: Gene Holder question

Gene has been active in the recording field since he left the dB's in 1987. He has become a well-known engineer and producer, having worked out of Jolly Roger Studio in New Jersey for years (that's also where he lives). Perhaps you've heard albums by Luna that he's produced. I couldn't tell you for sure if he still plays much, but yes, he's a new dad, too.

Re: Re: Re: Gene Holder question

Gene also produced the recent Chris Stamey with Yo La Tengo disc.

Biography | Discography | Scrapbook | Multimedia
Message Board | Links | Store | Home

© 2001 The dB's
ThedBs@ThedBsOnline.net
Site Design by Exploded View