Return to Website

The dB's Messageboard

The dB's Online Message Board is somewhat unmediated. Be nice. Your messages are welcome, but there are no promises that they will reach or be replied to by members of the band. Your suggestions for features are also welcome and will be considered for future inclusion. We request that you not post personal information, including email addresses, about anyone besides yourself without that person's permission. Don't forget to be funny.

The dB's Messageboard
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Like This on CD????

Hi Peter. Yep, I've got it here sitting in a box 5 feet from me, waiting for a free minute to digitize. Stay tuned...

Re: Mississippi Nights

It seems like during the mid-to-late '80's there was a ton of pro-shot shows (Marti Jones (with Tim Lee!), Long Ryders, Marshall Crenshaw, Sonic Youth, Big Black, etc) from Mississippi Nights. I think they were broadcast on a local public access cable channel in St. Louis. They were all great multi-camera shots with stereo soundboard feeds.

The Marti Jones and Marshall Crenshaw shows included interview segments (filmed backstage prior to the show) spliced in between different songs throughout the show. Did the dB's show also have interview segments?

Re: Re: Mississippi Nights

There is one tape here of a show called "Gambit" from New Orleans featuring Peter, Will and Jeff. The big topic of conversation is being signed to IRS. Unfortunately the quality of the tape isn't that good. I'd love to find out if the original tape exists in a vault somewhere.

Re: Re: Mississippi Nights

The Mississippi Nights stuff is from a late '80's St.Louis cable access show called Psychotic Reaction. It was done by Joe Schwab, who owns Euclid Records in St.Louis, where I worked for nine years before moving on to Vintage Vinyl. Joe would probably be happy to give you more info on the show, and can be reached at joe@euclidrecords.com . One of the best shows they ever filmed was the dBs final appearance in St.Louis, with the scorching line-up that featured Eric Peterson on guitar. Of the many times I saw the boys live, this show was one of the best.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

It seems like during the mid-to-late '80's there was a ton of pro-shot shows (Marti Jones (with Tim Lee!), Long Ryders, Marshall Crenshaw, Sonic Youth, Big Black, etc) from Mississippi Nights. I think they were broadcast on a local public access cable channel in St. Louis. They were all great multi-camera shots with stereo soundboard feeds.

The Marti Jones and Marshall Crenshaw shows included interview segments (filmed backstage prior to the show) spliced in between different songs throughout the show. Did the dB's show also have interview segments?

Re: Re: Re: Mississippi Nights

I forgot to add that Chris & Peter did a great in-store performance/signing at Euclid Records in St. Louis on their tour for the Mavericks album. The boys played a nice little set, and then we had quite the mob scene for their autographs afterwards. I'm proud to say that my town had a big dBs following back in the day.

Replying to:

The Mississippi Nights stuff is from a late '80's St.Louis cable access show called Psychotic Reaction. It was done by Joe Schwab, who owns Euclid Records in St.Louis, where I worked for nine years before moving on to Vintage Vinyl. Joe would probably be happy to give you more info on the show, and can be reached at joe@euclidrecords.com . One of the best shows they ever filmed was the dBs final appearance in St.Louis, with the scorching line-up that featured Eric Peterson on guitar. Of the many times I saw the boys live, this show was one of the best.

Replying to:

Re: Like This on CD????

I believe David Lindley and El Rayo X was also recorded at Mississippi Nights in '86 or '87 for local broadcast. Somebody is sitting on a treasure trove of great material.

Mississippi Nights interview segment/Euclid records

I don't remember doing any interview segment for the Mississippi Nights show. Also, I believe I have (or Jake has) a video shot at the Euclid instore show. The Gambit show is long gone, but the host Nick Marinello is still in NO. I'll try to hunt him down and find out what's up with that. Gadzooks there are so many little dribs and drabs of video everywhere; I wish I could find the rest of the Raleigh NC Pier show from which that black and white 3/4" video of "Ups and Downs" comes from. Plus all the missing footage from the Peppermint Lounge that got ripped off a long time ago. And Target Video in SF filmed us on an early trip out there, too. Whew!

Re: Swedish TV

What is the history behind the appearance on Swedish TV (I believe it's a Swedish TV show)? It's from 1982 and features three songs from the Repercussion LP.

Re: Re: Swedish TV

It was a show called Mandags Borsen, I believe, hosted by the guy who was the lead singer for Blue Swede (hooga chucka etc.) We performed with Ian Gomm, esteemed solo artist and former member of the wonderful Brinsley Schwarz. We backed him for three songs (including Tommy Roe's "Everybody" which came out of a successful rehearsal jam) and then we did three songs of our own. Possibly due to an excess of aquavit intake at the time, I can't tell you much more than that.

Re: Re: Re: Swedish TV

The show was called måndagsbörsen indeed...I wish I had a copy of this performance you did.

Re: Mississippi Nights interview segment/Euclid records

Indeed Peter, you weren't interviewed for that Mississippi Nights show. Y'all were holed up in the hotel across the street from the club watching the Grammys on tv, and you made numerous Grammy show jokes in between songs throughout your set that night. And if my fuzzy memory serves me correctly, I believe Psychotic Reaction was no longer on the air by then, though the same cable access channel would still professionally film rock shows at Mississippi Nights and just show them whenever. I think this was the case with your show then. And speaking of my fuzzy memory, this morning I just remembered that I gave you a copy of that Mississippi Nights video as a wedding present, the first time you marched down the aisle. Man, I had totally forgotten about that! You know what they say as you age, the memory is the first thing to go... :)

Replying to:

I don't remember doing any interview segment for the Mississippi Nights show. Also, I believe I have (or Jake has) a video shot at the Euclid instore show. The Gambit show is long gone, but the host Nick Marinello is still in NO. I'll try to hunt him down and find out what's up with that. Gadzooks there are so many little dribs and drabs of video everywhere; I wish I could find the rest of the Raleigh NC Pier show from which that black and white 3/4" video of "Ups and Downs" comes from. Plus all the missing footage from the Peppermint Lounge that got ripped off a long time ago. And Target Video in SF filmed us on an early trip out there, too. Whew!

Biography | Discography | Scrapbook | Multimedia
Message Board | Links | Store | Home

© 2001 The dB's
ThedBs@ThedBsOnline.net
Site Design by Exploded View