Return to Website

The dB's Messageboard

The dB's Online Message Board is somewhat unmediated. Be nice. Your messages are welcome, but there are no promises that they will reach or be replied to by members of the band. Your suggestions for features are also welcome and will be considered for future inclusion. We request that you not post personal information, including email addresses, about anyone besides yourself without that person's permission. Don't forget to be funny.

The dB's Messageboard
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Finally a website a girl can love

Jesus, god, allah, whatever... thank you for a website dedicated to the best fucking pop band in the universe. I miss the dB's so much; all else pales in comparison. The best brains cells I ever burned were burned at dB's shows...and I burned a lot of 'em. I will never forget the dB's at W.C. Don's in Jackson, Mississippi. All those other stupid 80s fuckers followed the Dead around; I worshiped at the feet of Stamey and Holsapple (and still do). Thank you for restoring my faith in the internet.

Re: Finally a website a girl can love

Shucks. Welcome aboard. WC Don's, a truly legendary club for all the right reasons!

Re: Re: Finally a website a girl can love

I remember seeing the dB's in Atlanta one night in '88 at some sort of Civic Center (I worked at Important Record Co. across from Wax n' Fax) and then hauling ass to Jackson to catch them again the next night. I left ATL after work at 5 p.m. and pulled my panting, beat up Toyota into the parking lot of Don's just in time for the first set of what turned out to be a raucous show. The only gig at Don's to even remotely rival the dB's was The Coolies record release party for "Dig"! Any club that has a non-working toilet on the front porch demands your love and respect, no?

Re: Re: Re: Finally a website a girl can love

Hi S. Ramone. I vaguely remember W.C. Don's as well. FWIW Terry Butler has opened a new Don's right across the street/alley from Hal and Mals. Tim Lee and I stopped in to see him at Thanksgiving.

Bobby S.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Finally a website a girl can love

Hi Bobby and all, yeah, the non-working toilet on the front porch is one of the greater memories there, although I seem to recall a big leak dripping over parts of the stage throughout some of our sets there. Also, wasn't it behind a pawn shop and a liquor store? Really, in my mind, only the Milestone in Charlotte comes close in terms of olfactory and sensory memories...

Question for Peter H.

Just for the record, the beloved Milestone has finally reopened under new management. Three young guys are taking a stab at it. Bill Flowers (I believe) still owns it, but is, once again, stepping away from any day-to-day operations.

Peter, did you ever have any run-ins with Bill Flowers? Peter Buck always had a weird story to tell of him. He (Bill) was a sotr-of elfish/troll kind of guy.

Re: Question for Peter H.

ps that last line was supposed to read "He (Bill) was a sort-of elfish/troll kind of guy."

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Finally a website a girl can love

Hi Peter,

Yep, you are correct about the surroundings - it was in a wonderful neighborhood. Still, a million great bands played there. The Windbreakers played one night and Terry couldn't make our guarantee so he paid us off in imported beer - I had cases of Heinekin and St. Pauligirl everywhere.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Finally a website a girl can love

Yeah, you know, I went to Jackson just last week for a fund raiser for Operation Shoestring at Hal & Mals and wandered across the street to the "new" W.C. Don's. I couldn't bear to even enter. It had light bulbs in all the sockets and tile on the floor and I think even a table or two and an artificial plant. I bet it even had air conditioning and heat... BLASPHEMY! So I went next door to Martin's, which of course is no old W.C. Don's but the smell is approximate. Some young whipper snapper tried to card me at the door (I'm fucking 46 for crissakes) until Hive Head Ed Inman informed him that he didn't want to mess with me. At any rate, the real Don's saw not just the dB's but Henry Rollins, Plasticland, Faith No More, and of course Alex...damn, when did I grow up? I hate that shit. Good to see you, Bobby, and know I am keeping up with you through notlame.com!

Re: The Milestone in Charlotte

I have to agree with you, Peter, regarding the various sensory experiences at the Milestone. Still, it was one of the greatest places to see a band. I saw everyone from Camper Van Beethoven to Love Tractor to Bad Brains to the Feelies and, you guessed it, the dB's there. I'm glad to hear the club is up and running again, if one could call a gutted house with unisex toilets and a secret attic (betcha didn't know that!) a club that is up and running. What memories!

an embarrassing Milestone moment of mine

Back in the bad old days when I loved to take substances that would keep me awake and jittery, I remember sitting on the stage of the Milestone (not the most hygenic thing I've ever done, in and of itself) after a soundcheck and pulled up every old piece of duct tape that was stuck to the floor. All I can think now is 'ewww'.

Re: an embarrassing Milestone moment of mine

Is it true that you can use duct tape in lieu of a condom in a real emergency?

Re: Re: The Milestone in Charlotte

Wow the Milestone - that's a memory. Remember they allowed you to spray your own graffitti on the walls, and that most excellent juke box? Saw the The Insect Surfers, Bad Brains with Why Die, Mission of Burma, etc. Good times...good times.
What's that other club in Charlotte called? Saw bands like NRBQ and Dread Zep...like the PhotoFactory or something?

Re: Re: Re: The Milestone in Charlotte

Jack, you're probably thinking of the Visulite Theatre in Charlotte on Elizabeth Avenue. It's become quite the place for shows in the past few years. I just saw Lucinda Williams there several months ago.

another club in Charlotte

We played at Viceroy Park there too. Very weird old supermarket that was turned into a club but not finished somehow. There was also the Pterodactyl, I think. The C. Drifters were only able to book gigs in the Queen City at the Double Door. Viva Milestone!

Re: another club in Charlotte

Yep, Peter, I saw the dB's at the Pteradactyl shortly after "The Sound of Music" was released. I recall you being decked out in your infamous (?) Elvis Presley/paisleyesque shirt. Y'all blew the roof off the place, especially when the bass kicked in on "Today Could Be the Day." Ahh, memories...

Biography | Discography | Scrapbook | Multimedia
Message Board | Links | Store | Home

© 2001 The dB's
ThedBs@ThedBsOnline.net
Site Design by Exploded View