Return to Website

The dB's Messageboard

The dB's Online Message Board is somewhat unmediated. Be nice. Your messages are welcome, but there are no promises that they will reach or be replied to by members of the band. Your suggestions for features are also welcome and will be considered for future inclusion. We request that you not post personal information, including email addresses, about anyone besides yourself without that person's permission. Don't forget to be funny.

The dB's Messageboard
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
The H-Bombs

The H-Bombs, which was me, Mitch, Robert Keely from Sneakers on bass and Chris Chamis on drums, existed for about a year or so from 1977 to 1978. There were a handful of gigs in the CH area, many of which got taped apparently. There's even a film made by Richard Kern (now a big name in NY Underground filmmaking) of us at Duke University, performing with our friend Jonathan Sharpe seated in an easy chair, reading the paper through the whole set. Most of the stuff we did was either written by Mitch or myself, with Robert's "Twilight" being an exception and a brace of irritating covers (like "Komm Gibb Mir Deine Hand" and "I Fought the Law"). Our first gig was at a Chapel Hill street fair, preceding the Apple Chill Cloggers (!) We had more posters than gigs. I would bet that Robert still has all of them somewhere, tucked away in his archives. Biohazard Informae, our little fanzine, was also a product of that time. I think it was a good band, but who knows? I was never in the audience for it. By the way, Chris Chamis, who served nobly as a dB's soundman for a spell, and I saw each other for the first time in years at Ziggy's in Winston-Salem a month or so ago. Chris plays drums for an excellent Beatles/60's band called Backbeat. If you get the chance to see them, do so. "Money From England" was about alleged cash that was supposed to arrive to help Ork Records in NY put out an H-Bombs recording. Suffice to say, it never arrived... I recently came into a live CD of the H-Bombs that is almost listenable! We sure had a lot of material! (And for those who remain uninitiated, this is not Evan Johns and the H-Bombs of whom we speak--by all rights, they stuck around much longer and undoubtedly deserved the name more than we did.)

Re: Re: a date that will live...

Besides the release of the "Big Black Truck " single, don''t forget about the great lost H-Bombs 10" ep (with reversible grooves!).

Re: Re: Re: a date that will live...

Hey dB's fan,
Please email me about that EP
tuckerchill@hotmail.com
Thanks.

Larry

Re: Re: Re: Re: a date that will live...

As a reasonable archivist, I admit I dont recall the HBombs 10" EP. If imaginary, then you got me, my compliments. If we made it up, then I just forgot. There WAS a promo cassette I believe we dubbed Hbombs In Silo 8B (studio side)and Live at Ground Zero (self evident). I also recall the first press kit(sic) a glowing letter from Eva Destruction which was bonesplitting funny at the time and is in some circles considered a progenitor of Biohazard Informae. At least an indicator of things to come. Peter was correct: the ratio of Hbombs promo posters to actual live performances is about 50:1.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: a date that will live...

Robert, I suppose you heard that you were name dropped by Chris at the Cradle show earlier this month. They wanted you to help out on a Sneakers tune.

Larry

Biography | Discography | Scrapbook | Multimedia
Message Board | Links | Store | Home

© 2001 The dB's
ThedBs@ThedBsOnline.net
Site Design by Exploded View