Return to Website

The dB's Messageboard

The dB's Online Message Board is somewhat unmediated. Be nice. Your messages are welcome, but there are no promises that they will reach or be replied to by members of the band. Your suggestions for features are also welcome and will be considered for future inclusion. We request that you not post personal information, including email addresses, about anyone besides yourself without that person's permission. Don't forget to be funny.

The dB's Messageboard
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Shoes

Did the dB's ever share any shows or have any even remote connection with the Shoes?

Re: Shoes

No, but we met them several times; and doesn't the one Murphy brother sound like Chris? Wish I still had a copy of One in Versailles..."Christine/what have you done to my girl?" Sigh.

Re: Re: Shoes

I had an email exchange with Jeff Murphey a few months ago, and he said they had been working on some studio stuff in some configuration of the Shoes but nothing nearly ready to release. Wouldn't a new Shoe cd be awesome? Just meeting one of the Murpheys would curl my toes. And judging from your sigh, I suspect the Shoes have curled a toe or two in your sector as well! BTW, my honey said he would marry me if I could reunite the Vapors for one gig. Anyone wanna help me out? Time's a wastin'!

Re: Re: Shoes

I wonder if the sneakers ever played with the shoes? :)

Re: Re: Re: Shoes

We need to reunite Bobby Sutliff's old band, the Oral Sox, with the Sneakers and the Shoes and then we'd have a nice musical wardrobe foundation, no? (God, that's such a bad pun that I need to go puke...)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Shoes

Ramone, I'm game but am afraid there's just too much animosity between certain Sox members for that to happen.

Bobby

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Shoes

Just jivin'...but tell me, please: just what IS so funny about that wacky peace, love and understanding?

By the way, Costello was here in Clarksdale recording with Jimbo Mathus and I got to have dinner with him and his band. Even got a pix to prove it wasn't some post-drug dream. Nice feller. I still can't believe it took me moving to Clarksdale to meet Elvis Costello. Who'd a thunk? But if anyone's looking for a raw sound, check out www.jamesmathus.com to see what's going on down here.

Re: Jimbo Mathus

S.X.,

We here in the Chapel Hill, NC, area know all about the amazing feats of one Jimbo Mathus. As you probably know, his Squirrel Nut Zippers called Chapel Hill home and his Knockdown Society kick it up around here quite frequently. He is such a talent.

Regarding Elvis Costello, I have a similar story. He played in Greensboro some 15 or so years ago. I had the chance to meet him after the show. He politely invited me and a friend back to his hotel room, where we all (including his girlfriend) gorged on strawberries and cream. Talk about being star struck! He is the perfect gentleman.

Re: Re: Jimbo Mathus

Yeah, Jimbo has a new Knockdown configuration and start up label called Knockdown South. If you are in on New Year's Eve and online, check out him issuing in the Central Time zone 2005 live from our club, Ground Zero Blues Club, on NPR. It's part of the 25th anniversary of Toast of the Nation, and this year it's going from Paris to Boston to DC to NY to CLARKSDALE to Denver then Oakland. Jimbo will have Cedell Davis, Big George Brock, Terry Harmonica Bean, Wesley Jefferson and our local blues savant, Mr. Tater the Musicmaker, helping him fill the hour. I have never heard anyone get a dirtier sound than Jimbo. Listening to some of his stuff is like rolling over a rotten log and looking at all the creepy crawly shit underneath - you are attracted and repulsed at the same time. Costello did "Monkey to Man" here at his studio, and I heard this week the cd that's on was nominated for a Grammy.

Re: Shoes/serendipitous encounters

Hi Ramone!Just wanted to add that it took me moving all the way to Frydek-Mistek,Czech Rep. to meet a certain Mr.Paul McCartney in the flesh while my former band was in London to play a gig in Oct.2003.
Even met Chrissie Hynde and band only 12 hours earlier after taking in a Pretenders concert at Shepherds Bush Empire.
All this after moving to a typical provincial town near the Plolish and Slovakian borders.Not bad,eh?
Anyone out there with serendipitous meetings w/cool rockers?
P.S. Love Shoes music,too!

Biography | Discography | Scrapbook | Multimedia
Message Board | Links | Store | Home

© 2001 The dB's
ThedBs@ThedBsOnline.net
Site Design by Exploded View