Return to Website

The dB's Messageboard

The dB's Online Message Board is somewhat unmediated. Be nice. Your messages are welcome, but there are no promises that they will reach or be replied to by members of the band. Your suggestions for features are also welcome and will be considered for future inclusion. We request that you not post personal information, including email addresses, about anyone besides yourself without that person's permission. Don't forget to be funny.

The dB's Messageboard
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Secret Service

Hey Peter,

I remember Tommy Eshelman from my days at UNC-Charlotte back in the late 70's. He and his friends Henry Martintte and Tom Robbins used to talk about Little Diesel a lot. Did y'all ever record anything to cassette...or anything else for that matter?

Others may be intersted in checking out, Chris' wife Katy's band Poor valentino. They had a pretty cool s/t release from 2001 that's definitely worth checking out. When I last saw them in late 2004 katy indicated they were working on a new album. I hope that bears fruition.

Little Diesel

Yeah, actually Chris just posted on this a while ago.

The five Little Diesel members recorded a bunch of songs in Chris Stamey's bedroom at his parents' house in Winston-Salem on his Teach 2340. He had little old Fender Champ amps hanging on his walls (!) I think we did about 13 tunes, ten of which were covers ("Anytime At All", "I Got a Line on You", "Wishing Well" by Free and more) and three originals including the classic "Kissy Boys". I can pretty much assure you that the original 7" master was lost by yours truly in some move along the path of life unfortunately. There are 8 track versions somewhere (I can practically guarantee that Robert Keely has one), but who has a player?

I think that someone recorded one of our live shows on cassette once upon a time, but where that tape is is anyone's guess.

Little Diesel was quite an experience. We practiced (at Henry Martinet's family's cabin) a lot more than we played out. Wish I could remember more of the songs we did, but I do recall we played:

Good News, Bad News- Family
Promised Land- Chuck Berry, but from the Elvis single
a small chunk of a Fairport Convention song from "Full House"
Little Willy- The Sweet

That's all I recall. Will? Robert? Anyone care to expand and expound?

I almost forgot...

that Northcott and Will had me convinced that they'd written "In the Street" and "Feel" (Big Star tunes from Number 1 Record) in Little Diesel, due to my general unfamiliarity with the record. I was rather pissed when I found out that they didn't, but eh... stupid me.

Biography | Discography | Scrapbook | Multimedia
Message Board | Links | Store | Home

© 2001 The dB's
ThedBs@ThedBsOnline.net
Site Design by Exploded View