Return to Website

The dB's Messageboard

The dB's Online Message Board is somewhat unmediated. Be nice. Your messages are welcome, but there are no promises that they will reach or be replied to by members of the band. Your suggestions for features are also welcome and will be considered for future inclusion. We request that you not post personal information, including email addresses, about anyone besides yourself without that person's permission. Don't forget to be funny.

The dB's Messageboard
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: unlearn what you have learned.

Huh. I think the tune is a rather clever reintroduction.
I was grinning from ear to ear when I first played it.
Welcome back guys!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

The song is obviously swell- what else would you expect from Holsapple? My point is that I hope the band makes an attempt to record from the mindset they had when they made the records they are now legendary for. In order for that to happen we need to hear a lot of Chris in Peter's songs and a lot of Peter in Chris' tunes.
Both of these guys have been through a lot the past twenty years. Unlearning what they've learned is a key to being romantic enough to create from that place in their heart where they originally started.

Life is a minestrone.

yet...

I understand what you're saying, adoy, and everyone else for that matter. I think that, much like the Mavericks record did a little Peter/Chris song-switching, the new album will have what you seek in it. Originally, when faced with the prospect of a reformation of the dB's, I had thought that I would not be able to write in a similar style to the original band's; ten years with the Continental Drifters can do that to a body. I certainly didn't consciously write "World to Cry" with the deeBs in mind. When Chris heard the demo I'd done, he thought it would work with him and Will and Gene playing it (which I also think it does). It gave us confidence that we could play together again and try other new stuff. So really, we did it as a starting place. Please know that we will try to exhaust our creative juices on this album. None of us are into this as an oldies new wave vaudeville show (too much of that going on already). Nor is the new album going to be Repercussion Part Two. We plan on moving forward like the world does. Just needed a place to start... thanks for your comments and support for our expedition.

Re: yet...

Peter and Chris, you are both being extrodinarily gracious. I think you should just do what you do-- write some songs, pick the good ones, and record them the way you see fit. If that ends up sounding like vintage DeeBs, well, I'm prepared to chalk it up to the overlap in personnel. If it doesn't, well, I'm sure it will be good, because I've been buying the records in the interim, and I like 'em.

But hell, its OK to sound like yourselves, and doing so and pushing the creativity envelope are by no means mutually exclusive.

Here's a good place for me to say the Mavericks record was on my top-10 of the '90s list. A classic.

Re: Re: Josh says it well!

Yes indeed. Peter and Chris are mighty gracious to expound on this new dB's expedition. If "World to Cry" is a starting point, it looks to be an incredibly worthwhile trip. Can't stop listening to that tune.
Good luck to you guys on the rest of this record!

Re: unlearn what you have learned.

And...uh...I would imagine that a guy who is quoting YODA (i think?) would admit to the appeal of new takes on the familiar....

Re: Re: unlearn what you have learned.

Everyone's a fucking critic these days. Too bad the New Yorker ain't hiring. May the farce be with this guy.

Biography | Discography | Scrapbook | Multimedia
Message Board | Links | Store | Home

© 2001 The dB's
ThedBs@ThedBsOnline.net
Site Design by Exploded View