Return to Website

The dB's Messageboard

The dB's Online Message Board is somewhat unmediated. Be nice. Your messages are welcome, but there are no promises that they will reach or be replied to by members of the band. Your suggestions for features are also welcome and will be considered for future inclusion. We request that you not post personal information, including email addresses, about anyone besides yourself without that person's permission. Don't forget to be funny.

The dB's Messageboard
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Powerpop, anyone?

Anyone who is really into powerpop of that nature should check out a new comp. called "Prefills" that came out on Chicago-based label Numero. This comp. features some known bands like the Shoes and the Toms along with many lesser-known ones and all songs are excellent. Was compiled by Jordan Oakes, who started the zine "Yellow Pills" and did a series of comps in the 90's for the label BIG DEAL.
Also, there is the amazing Chuck Warner who, has compiled, amnong other things, about 8 or 9 CDs of rare powerpop in his Hyped2Death series. The powerpop series is called "Teenline"
Check out his website at
www.hyped2death.com
It's incredible..
pete

Re: Re: Powerpop, anyone?

I may have missed seeing the sex pistols, but I did see The Shoes in Chicago! Harlow's I think it was called at the time - on So. Cicero Avenue. Tom C. did you mean Pezband? Fun stuff!!!

Re: Re: Re: Powerpop, anyone?

whoops, yup, meant the Pezband, not the Pexband, lol.

Incidentally, has anyone listened to Chris band the Sneakers? I'd like to check them out, though their stuff appears to be out of print.

Tom
(who's also happy cause I got to say hi to Ira Kaplan after the show at Maxwells last night)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Powerpop, anyone?

Hi Tom,
Sneakers were a great band that was mainly Chris Stamey and Mitch Easter. A compilation of their stuff as well as additonal newly recorded tracks exists on CD. It's called "Racket" I see that it's like $20 on gemm.com NOt a bad deal for an out of print CD.
If you don't have any of the Let's Active reissues I highly recommend The "Afoot/Cypress" and "Big Plans For Everybody" CDs which were only recently reissued and reaonably priced...
best
pete

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Powerpop, anyone?

Hi Pete, thanks for the info. I've had bad experiences in the past with Gemm.Com, but hopefully they're okay now. Anyhoo, I'll try to get these.

Tom

Re: Re: Re: Re: Powerpop, anyone?

I was lucky to get a copy of the Sneakers EP at a record store whose name I can't recall on the 2nd floor of a building on 8th street about 20 years ago. There are a couple of cuts on there that are TOPS.

Re: Re: Powerpop, anyone?

Yes, totally agree with you on the Numero comp. Big props to that one all around, as Jordan is an old friend and fellow St.Louisan, and Numero is a great label.

But I must vehemently disagree on the Chuck Warner stuff. He's basically a bootlegger who prides himself on a) using your stuff without permission, and b)not paying musicians for the music of theirs that he sells. I know from personal experience. Screw that guy...

Biography | Discography | Scrapbook | Multimedia
Message Board | Links | Store | Home

© 2001 The dB's
ThedBs@ThedBsOnline.net
Site Design by Exploded View