Return to Website

Girls' Talk

From the makers of Police Academy comes the feel-good forum experience of the season!

Girls' Talk
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Alright, Patt*** ... bummer!

Once again, no Fran Drescher! I posted a review of the Grammy show to the list yesterday, but it never appeared. I'll try to reconstruct it:

1. The opening performance with Prince, the subject of your adoring essay "Why I Wish I Could Be Prince," and Beyonce was quite a treat and was really good. It was in honor of the 20th anniversary of the release of the album and movie, Purple Rain (medley of Purple Rain; Baby, I'm a Star; Let's Go Crazy). Prince is so very talented--a great guitar player and singer. However, as opposed to Kim Basinger, Sheila Easton, et al, I do not at all find him to be my type. He's breathing a sigh of relief right now, I'm sure.
2. The Beatles tribute wasn't what it could have been, but it was just nice that they included them at all. I liked the "I Saw Her Standing There" performance by Sting, Dave Matthews, Pharrell and Vince Gill. Paul is wacky.
3. I love the Foo Fighters--Dave Grohl is up there talent-wise with Prince, and he is more in the realm of "my type," but I still wouldn't let him or anyone else suck my toes (isn't that what you told Susan D. that Prince would be doing once he enchanted her as you postulated that he would as he had with all the women that were ever anywhere near him?). Their performance of "Times Like These" with Chick Corea was really great.
4. The White Stripes' performance was quite good, too.

On the Patties scale:
Award Show-wise, it's down there with the People's Choice Awards. It's watchable due only to the sometimes really good performances, but who cares about the awards? Former home of The Nanny or not, CBS sucks and is far to censorious.

patt*

Re: Re: Alright, Patt*** ... bummer!

I forgot to mention the funk section of the show: Earth, Wind and Fire (I love them! September is just the coolest song, though, unfortunately, they didn't play that), OutKast, George Clinton and the Parliament Funkadelic, and Robert Randolph and the Family Band funked it old school. Nicely done.

The true p-funk,
patt*

Re: Re: Re: Alright, Patt*** ... bummer!

Patt***, you have wonderful, eclectic tastes ...

... something that is also apparent from your video tape collection.

Well, the eclectic part, anyway.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Alright, Patt*** ... bummer!

Thanks for the compliment of my tastes. Jody was laughing because I've got Prince, Smithereens, Cowboy Junkies, .38 Special (??!!), and Squeeze in my car right now. Odd combination...but they each have their own charm.

2 weeks to the Oscars! And then life returns to non-awards season.

patt*