Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Needing advice on flaky skin.

Hi everyone,
I'm looking for a bit of advice. Bruce (formerly Rab) has a bit of what I'd describe as dandruff. He had it a wee bit when we got him but it seems to have got a bit worse this past week, I don't know if this is to do with the fact he seems to be shedding his winter coat too. I don't want my big boy to be ichy or irritated. He seems to be sratching his back end for want of a better description. I'm wondering if any of you have came across this and if you have any good remedies or ideas?
Many thanks
Suz xx

Re: Needing advice on flaky skin.

Hi,

I had the same problem just after getting my whippet. I did a bit of research and found it could be a common yeast infection in the skin which needs a special shampoo from the vet.

Before this though I tried a squirt of runny pure natural honey in his dinner each day and sardines in sunflower oil for his breakfast and this seems to have really helped.

I also make sure he doesn't lie in the sun for too long as well which is hard as he is a passionate sunbather!

Ian

I also found a spoonful of honey in my dog's dinner each day made a real difference.

Thanks, I had thought maybe a medicated shampoo would help. I'll try the honey too!! Sure Bruce won't object to that lol!! I'll give the vet a wee call and get some honey on the road home!!
Suz xx

We have had the same problem with our boy. We started him on honey a few weeks ago and although it has not stopped he is definately better. He gets cod liver oil too and sardines regularly. I think it is something these dogs tend to suffer with. Ours doesn't seem bothered by it, he doesn't scratch very much.

Kaz and Pat Brundell and Ace

Thanks, Last night he scratched and knawed for about half an hour at bedtime. I felt so sorry for him!! I've been giving him a right good rub down outside and using his grooming glove to try and get rid of some of the flakes then I've been using bay rum on his coat. That seems to help for a bit of immediate relief. I'm trying him on the honey and sardines and see how he goes. Seemingly there's also a medictaed shampoo that a few of the dog rescue centres use called Aromesse. I'll try some cod liver oil too. As much as I don't wish anyone's dogs to be flaky, it's good to know Bruce isn't the only one and it seems to be something greys are prone too. I was panicking I was doing something worng with him!
xx

HI SUSAN
IS BRUCE A BLACK GREY THEY SUFFER MORE WITH
DANDRUFF. I HAVE A BLACK GREY AND SHE HAS SOME
DANDRUFF. I GIVE HER A GOOD BRUSH EVERY WEEK
ALSO GIVE HER EVENING PRIMROSE OIL FOR HER SKIN
ALSO GOOD IDEA TO KEEP UP WITH THE FLEA TREATMENT
HOPE THIS HELPS

We got Noah last year and he suffered slightly with a little dandruff - I had previously read about the honey so thought I would try it out - certainly helped alot, now we have a lovely shiney coat and a greyhound hooked on honey haha - the minute I bring the jar out the cupboard he jumps at me to get it

Hi guys!

Thanks for all your advice, Bruce is now a lot happier with his skin tho it's still not 100% cured yet, He does like the honey and the sardines, lol, and also likes it when the honey jar comes out hahaha!! The vet has given me medicated shampoo for Bruce also. His coat is looking very shiny tho and as I say he seems a happier boy and has stopped scratching!

Thanks again
Susan